PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade ubuntu 9.04 by the web

matteoraggi
November 14th, 2015, 02:22 PM
Hi to all!
I have a clean Ubuntu 9.04 on a old HP Pavilion dv1000 with 1gbram and 50gb hard disk, the LAN is working well.
I would like to upgrade it without CD and USB or NETWORK, but by the web upgrade.
I tested manually more of 10 repositories, but all look to be broken.
Please help me to find a way to upgrade ubunto 9.04 by the web and then maybe also to move it to lubuntu.

mikewhatever
November 14th, 2015, 02:25 PM
Just backup your stuff and install something else. There is no way to reliably upgrade from something this old to anything currently supported.

matteoraggi
November 14th, 2015, 02:53 PM
Ok.. so I have to buy a dvd rewritable.. thanks.
Or I could boot from usb using PLOP https://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager/download.html but it is not clear to me how to install PLOP, because the documentation say to copy a file in the HOME, but exactly in the home I am not able to copy any files.

Vladlenin5000
November 15th, 2015, 02:34 PM
PloP is something you boot from, i.e., you burn a bootable CD from the ISO image file provided, then you boot from that with the USB drive already in place. It is ONLY for this scenario.
A HP Pavilion dv1000 most likely boots directly from the USB therefore there's no point in using PloP.

Obs.: Considering the machine's age, the inly current Ubuntu flavor you'll be able to run acceptably is Lubuntu. Do NOT try standard Ubuntu.

matteoraggi
November 15th, 2015, 02:37 PM
A the end I have installed plop from widows from the .bat fiel, it was so easy!
Then I installed ubuntu LXDE mini.. and installed the software trough the terminal.
Thanks!

grahammechanical
November 15th, 2015, 03:35 PM
Please help me to find a way to upgrade ubunto 9.04 by the web and then maybe also to move it to lubuntu.

Realistically, we cannot convert from one member of the Ubuntu family to another without doing a fresh installation. we can install an alternative desktop but that is not really the same thing as running Lubuntu or Kubuntu or Xubuntu or Ubuntu Gnome or Ubuntu Mate.

Regards.