PDA

View Full Version : Partitions not recognizing during installation ubuntu 14.04

vikram8
November 10th, 2015, 06:57 PM
I'm trying to install ubuntu 14.04 in my old p4 pc by removing windows ... But in installation typ window nd its not give three options instead of that asking for installing bt not displaying any partition...

I hv two partitions nd i dont want to do any thing with my other partion because there ary many important stuff stored nd i can take back up... I'm already tried deleting primary parition(in which windows installed) nd making new ome bt it didnt help....

Plz help me gyz...

yancek
November 10th, 2015, 08:00 PM
To start with to get a little information, boot the Ubuntu installation medium and open a terminal. Once in the terminal type: sudo fdisk -l(Lower Case Letter L in the Command) and post the output here. It will show drive/partition information. Which installation option did you select?

ajgreeny
November 10th, 2015, 08:58 PM
To see the partitions available at installation you must choose the "Something Else" option when it gets to that stage. The window will refresh and show a list of partitions in the disk or disks in the computer.

vikram8
November 11th, 2015, 04:38 AM
There is no option come for something else... Thats the problem...

vikram8
November 11th, 2015, 05:12 AM
To start with to get a little information, boot the Ubuntu installation medium and open a terminal. Once in the terminal type: sudo fdisk -l(Lower Case Letter L in the Command) and post the output here. It will show drive/partition information. Which installation option did you select?

Disk /dev/sda: 82.0 GB, 81964302336 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9964 cylinders, total 160086528 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0xeb64eb64

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 2048 206847 102400 b W95 FAT32
/dev/sda2 206848 51195903 25494528 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
/dev/sda3 51196320 160060319 54432000 f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/sda5 51196383 160060319 54431968+ 7 HPFS/NTFS/є×FAT

No option came for selecting installation.... Directly goes to selecting partition for installing

vikram8
November 11th, 2015, 05:13 AM
I'm using lubuntu its becase of that ?

yancek
November 11th, 2015, 03:50 PM
I'm using lubuntu its becase of that ?

No. Lubuntu uses the same installer as Ubuntu. You should see a "Preparing to Install Lubuntu" screen which tells you how much drive space you need to install Lubuntu. The next screen would be the Installation Type window with the options. Your fdisk output shows that the entire drive is used by your various windows partitions so there is no disk space on which to install Lubuntu.

What you could do is shrink the windows partition, probably sda2 and create another partition out of that space while installing Lubuntu and format it with a Linux filesystem. If you have a recent version of windows, post xp, you should do this with the Disk Management tool in windows, reboot to make sure it still works and probably run chkdsk.

If you shrink the partition (actually you never indicate which windows you have??) and still don't get the options then you probably have a bad iso or burn of Lubuntu.

vikram8
November 11th, 2015, 05:48 PM
I tried by deleting nd formatting primary windows drive i do it with windows dvd bt nothing happed even tried with formating ubuntu live try bt its not able to format or making new drive (ext4) with ubuntu live try ... Now i'm downloading ubuntu iso hope it work....

I delete that drive nd start installing lubuntu bt same thing happen no option i think prob. In my iso ...

Btw i'm using win7...

yancek
November 11th, 2015, 06:07 PM
Windows 7 has Disk Management and you should be able to use it to shrink one of your partitions to make room for Lubuntu.
Did you do an md5 checksum on the Lubuntu iso to verify the download?

vikram8
November 11th, 2015, 06:13 PM
No i didnt do check...i said i completely deleted windows partition and tried bt same result... Whatever i'm downloading ubuntu now hope that work ...

vikram8
November 14th, 2015, 07:29 AM
I'm trying to install Ubuntu/Lubuntu 32bit 14.04 in my old P4 PC in place of windows7 bt its not recognizing my any partition even not showing three option. Directly going to installation page. I DON'T WANT TO FORMAT MY OTHER DRIVE BECAUSE THERE IMP. STUFF STORED AND I'M UNABLE TO TAKE BACKUP.

fdisk -l output i dont Know About These-

Disk /dev/sda: 82.0 GB, 81964302336 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9964 cylinders, total 160086528 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0xeb64eb64

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 2048 206847 102400 b W95 FAT32
/dev/sda2 206848 51195903 25494528 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
/dev/sda3 51196320 160060319 54432000 f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/sda5 51196383 160060319 54431968+ 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT

What I'm Already Tried-

1) Tried formatting C drive with LIVE TRY but didnt work.
2) I Deleted C drive with windows DVD and then tried making new ext4 drive with LIVE TRY but its not able to creat new drive.
3) Also tried with installation setup to make new drive but same result its not able to find space.
4) Then I make a new drive with win7 dvd but its also not able to find it.
5) Also check md5 sum
Plz Help Me Guyz

mörgæs
November 14th, 2015, 12:03 PM
Are you able to run Gparted from a live boot of Lubuntu?

howefield
November 14th, 2015, 12:08 PM
Duplicate threads merged.

vikram8
November 14th, 2015, 06:55 PM
Are you able to run Gparted from a live boot of Lubuntu?

I actually dnt knw abt which gparted are you talking about... But yes i go to partitioning option from lubuntu live dvd and try to formating or creating new partition but didnt work its not able to format or creat new drive...

vikram8
November 14th, 2015, 06:56 PM
Duplicate threads merged.

Yep i thaught reposting may help...

Bashing-om
November 14th, 2015, 08:41 PM
vikram8; Hello;

Allow me to poke my nose into this.
As yancek advises, you have all 4 primary partitions taken up with Windows. In the msdos partitioning scheme there is a addressing limit of 4 partitions . We must make provisions - if you want to dual boot - for the 'buntu install .
One way to accomplish this is to make up a 'recovery' disk for Windows and delete that partition on the hard drive . Shrink the Windows' operating system down, and add that space to the unallocated space from the deleted recovery partition.

Once you have contiguous unallocated space .. the installer will be happy to install 'buntu .

just my 2 pounds worth

vikram8
November 15th, 2015, 06:34 AM
vikram8; Hello;

Allow me to poke my nose into this.
As yancek advises, you have all 4 primary partitions taken up with Windows. In the msdos partitioning scheme there is a addressing limit of 4 partitions . We must make provisions - if you want to dual boot - for the 'buntu install .
One way to accomplish this is to make up a 'recovery' disk for Windows and delete that partition on the hard drive . Shrink the Windows' operating system down, and add that space to the unallocated space from the deleted recovery partition.

Once you have contiguous unallocated space .. the installer will be happy to install 'buntu .

just my 2 pounds worth

Actually i deleted my Windows partition then tried with unallocated unit but installation setup didnt detect that space and also not able to creat new partition with live try...

And i dont want dual boot i want to use Ubuntu in place of windows

Bashing-om
November 15th, 2015, 04:47 PM
vikram8; Ouch !!

OK. single install, ubuntu . Installer being stubborn.
Next up is to check and see about meta data on that hard drive confusing the installer.
what returns:

sudo wipefs /dev/sda

Note that you should not just trust me that that command is safe (even though it is), you should run "man wipefs" and confirm for yourself that the command will just list all visible filesystems (and in this case, RAID metadata) and their offsets.
'sda' represents that 1st hard drive, if there are other drives ((2nd == sdb) adjust the target device as required .

As there must be a reason, must be a cause .

inquiring minds want to know

vikram8
November 15th, 2015, 06:21 PM
vikram8; Ouch !!

OK. single install, ubuntu . Installer being stubborn.
Next up is to check and see about meta data on that hard drive confusing the installer.
what returns:

sudo wipefs /dev/sda

Note that you should not just trust me that that command is safe (even though it is), you should run "man wipefs" and confirm for yourself that the command will just list all visible filesystems (and in this case, RAID metadata) and their offsets.
'sda' represents that 1st hard drive, if there are other drives ((2nd == sdb) adjust the target device as required .

As there must be a reason, must be a cause .

inquiring minds want to know

Ok... If i use sda2(26 gb partition of my windows correct me if i'm wrong) instead sda i think its more safe because as said i dont want to erase my data in ither drive.

I search about that command and i wanna ask you wiping signature is safe ? And what if i accidentally wipe signature of my other drive there any chance to lose data?

Bashing-om
November 15th, 2015, 06:34 PM
vikram8; Well ..

It is always advised to check and understand any command !
All I can say here is that the command is safe . but do as advised and read for yourself

man wipefs

You want to look at the devices .. as in sda not a partition .
My result:

sysop@1404mini:~$ sudo wipefs /dev/sda
[sudo] password for sysop:
wipefs: WARNING: /dev/sda: appears to contain 'dos' partition table
sysop@1404mini:~$

Where formerly I did have a raid setup; Reverted to Master Boot Record (dos) .

buy a man a fish ............