PDA

View Full Version : Should I develop in C for solaris at Oracle?

pavelexpertov
November 10th, 2015, 12:07 AM
Hi, I am looking for job placement for next year and I found out that Oracle have a position for a C programmer to program for solaris.
Now, I am very interested to apply for it, because I always wanted to learn the inner working of an operating systems and its subsystems.
I do have some questions:
Since solaris is unix-based, should I expect it to be like Linux in terms of command line, philosophy and programs?
I currently program in C++ and I learned some assembly and computer architecture basics (which helped me to debug better).
But is it easy to learn C by knowing C++?
Thank you!!!

ofnuts
November 10th, 2015, 01:17 AM
C is mostly C++ without objects.

thisisbasil
November 12th, 2015, 05:12 PM
C is mostly C++ without objects.

I don't necessarily agree with this statement but thats another topic in and of itself.

But yes, learning C doesn't have all that much of a learning curve if you are familiar with C++

Wadim_Korneev
November 19th, 2015, 02:44 PM
I recommend you:
NetBeans IDE (Integrated Development Environment) provides tools to help you build cross-platform applications for the Oracle Solaris OS and other operating platforms. The NetBeans IDE is available from netbeans.org. To see the installation guide, go to the Releases & Planning page, click the “General Info” link for the release you want, and then find the Installation Instructions on that page.

The NetBeans IDE contains the following features:

Java Desktop Applications – Create professional desktop applications using the NetBeans Java GUI Builder with Swing Application Framework and Beans Binding support. Build rich internet applications with JavaFX.

PHP Development – A fast and lightweight PHP IDE with code completion and quick fixes, integrated FTP and Xdebug, and support for popular Web Services.

Java EE and Web Applications – Build web applications using Ajax, JavaScript, and CSS. Support for frameworks including JSF, Struts, Spring and Hibernate. Full set of tools for EJB development.

Ruby and Ruby on Rails Development – Powerful Ruby editor with code completion and debugger, and full support for Ruby on Rails. Includes the JRuby runtime.

Visual Mobile Development – Create, test and debug GUI applications that run on mobile phones, set-top boxes, and PDAs.

C and C++ Development – Full-featured C/C++ editor, debugger, project templates, support for multiple project configurations, remote development, performance profiling, and packaging of completed projects.

Visit the netbeans.org web site for more information. New users might find the following pages particularly useful:

Guided Video Tour of the NetBeans IDE

NetBeans IDE Java Quick Start Tutorial

NetBeans documentation

NetBeans Plugin Portal for plugin modules

pavelexpertov
November 20th, 2015, 07:14 AM
Ohhh thank you very much guys!!! My bloody email haven't informed me yet, but I will use the info. Can't wait to start doing an application form to apply!!!