PDA

View Full Version : simple way to install ubuntu on an efi 32 machine?

christopher-acosta-af
November 8th, 2015, 02:02 AM
i was looking online for a way to install ubuntu on an efi 32 machine. all instructions seem pretty hard and while im not one for complaining about difficuly i am faced with doing this procedure for multiple machines and this seems daunting. i work with a non-profit that wishes to implement ubuntu on several cheap efi 32 machines. are there any streamlined or automatic setup steps that doesn't require building grub on every machine?

grahammechanical
November 8th, 2015, 04:03 AM
Your right it does seem complicated. It is made worse because the tutorials are related to a specific machine which is fine if it is the same as your hardware. But not so fine if you own different hardware.

The simplest method I have found is to install Ubuntu but not to restart and then from a live session install grib-efi-ia32-bin. It is at the bottom of this tutorial

https://sturmflut.github.io/linux/ubuntu/2015/02/04/installing-ubuntu-on-baytrail-tablets-version-2/

The probably much better way (only available on Ubuntu 15.04) Open a terminal and install the grub-efi-ia32-bin package:
sudo apt-get install grub-efi-ia32-bin

Update the grub config

sudo update-grub

This is from 15.04 onwards. I can confirm that grub-efi-ia32-bin is in the 15.10 archives.

Regards.

mörgæs
November 8th, 2015, 08:44 AM
When you search for guides then only read the 15.10 ones. What you have read for older releases might scare people for no reason.

A lot of work has been put into making 15.10 more straightforward to deal with on 32 bit EFI.

Besides, since 32 bit EFI often indicates weak hardware you could consider X/Lubuntu.