PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] GSHELL: lots of display bugs arrived from nowhere, still bugging at reboot

trigone
November 6th, 2015, 05:59 AM
Hi,

So, to tell the whole story: like fifteen minutes ago, i had a weird message of VLC that said it couldn't read a file, whereas it wasn't reading this file at all, and was actually in the middle of reading another file altogether. That's at this point that i realized that everytime something was displayed (windows, tooltips, etc), the image remained on the screen even after closing or moving the window, making the whole environment virtually unusable. In wise computer user, and after several random checks to see if something was eating up my memory or my cpu (wasn't the case apparently), i decided to reboot. The computer didn't wanna, so i actually had to sudo-shutdown-now it.
After a second reboot, and every gshell extension deactivated, this problem come from nowhere still blends the whole environment continually. It even makes the mouse incapable to click onto some links under some circumstances... a real total mess.

Historically, I just installed several hours ago gshell 3.10.4 (i think) on top of Xubuntu 14.04, and i'm pretty sure no upgrades of anything was proposed to me between the moment i installed gshell and various amounts of extensions, and the moment this display bug started to bug me. GShell actually worked perfectly for hours on before this, and i wasn't doing anything related to the display at all when this happened.
I did change the display manager (on the unjustified but apparently adamant advice of a website whose address was long forgotten), from gdm to lightdm, this, after the installation of gshell (during which i then had chosen GDM), but then again, this switching was several hours before the beginning of this bug.

Any help is welcome! I rather like gshell and would be quite saddened to have to come back to xfce (or to have to reinstall it perhaps first...)

Thanks in advance!