PDA

View Full Version : invalid access to FAT during instalation in windows boot partition

glorfindus
November 5th, 2015, 08:33 PM
Hallo,

When I try to install ubuntu 15.10 on my dual boot pc I get the following error (at the middle to end of installation):

Ubuntu Kernel [.......] FAT-fs (sda2): error, invalid access to FAT (entry ......)

Sda2 is the partition of my windows boot manager, the error also occurs when I don't override this partition and choose another partition as location for grub.
The message is constantly repeated and the ...... part changes.
The grub of my previous installment of ubuntu was removed when upgrading to windows 10 and reinstalling grub didn't work, so I reinstalled ubuntu.
I install using usb pendrive Linux and have already installed Linux using the same image (usb unchanged), later I have also recreated the image from the iso.
My computer is a lenovo y50.

Any help would be much appreciated.

yancek
November 5th, 2015, 10:21 PM
Probably the best step to take is to get the boot repair software, download it and run the script form your Ubuntu installation medium. Is windows 10 installed in MBR or UEFI? Ubuntu and windows need to be both the same. Select the option to Create BootInfo Summary with boot repair should give that and much other pertinent info.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

glorfindus
November 8th, 2015, 05:24 PM
Boot-repair asked for disabling of secureboot. I didn't want to do that unless there are alternatives, so I reinstalled and upgraded windows first. After that installing Ubuntu worked fine.

Thank you for your time.