PDA

View Full Version : [server] Ubuntu Server - Accessibility options missing from installation menu

info33
November 5th, 2015, 08:45 AM
Setup:
Installing Ubuntu Server 14.04.3 in uefi mode, dual-booting with manufacturer's windows 8.

Problem:
I'm a beginner.
I have bad eyesight/poor vision/color blindness.
Accessibility/High Contrast (bright white text, black background) options are not available during uefi-mode installation.

Details:
After a lot of experimentation, here is what I've discovered:
Changing setup (bios) options to enable CSM allows booting from dvd. If I understand correctly, this is "legacy", non-uefi mode. To dual-boot with windows 8, which is in uefi mode, I must also install Ubuntu in uefi mode. That's what I want to do.
If I enable csm (non-uefi), then the initial installer screen provides F-key options at the bottom, one of which is Accessibility, and this menu contains a High Contrast option. This is exactly what I need.
However, if I disable csm to switch to uefi mode, which then requires that I install from usb rather than dvd, a similar installer menu appears, but without the F-key options at the bottom. I'm stuck, because as soon as I select Install Ubuntu Server, the awful bright-white-background screens appear, and I cannot continue, because I cannot read them.

Please tell me there is a way around this. If not, please tell me how I can submit a request to the developers asking if they can either change the design to the normal white text/black background, or add this option as with the csm-mode installer so that I can proceed.

Thank you for any help you can provide.