PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installation error - Comodo antivirus

robwill2
November 4th, 2015, 09:22 AM
I downloaded and attempted to installed Comodo Anti virus using the Ubuntu website link. Upon attempting an install I received the following warning/error message;

The package is of bad quality

The installation of a package which violates the quality standards isn't allowed. This could cause serious problems on your computer. Please contact the person or organisation who provided this package file and include the details beneath.

Details:

Lintian check results for (File location removed from post) cav-linux_1.1.268025-1_i386.deb:
E: cav-linux: maintainer-address-malformed comodo <comodo@comodo-OptiPlex-330>

I have the option to 'Ignore and install' but I am concerned this would be unwise. Why would Ubuntu present this as a recommended option only to have the system recommend against its installation?

I am essentially looking for a program to scan for and eliminate windows viruses that have infected a USB hard drive. I am happy to receive any other software suggestions.

howefield
November 4th, 2015, 09:27 AM
Can you give us a link to the Ubuntu web page you are talking about ?

ajgreeny
November 4th, 2015, 12:23 PM
If it was the comodo link on the page at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Antivirus it is for 12.04 and may not work on later Ubuntu versions.

Do you really need an antivirus at all? Read that linked page carefully and decide; I have not run an antivirus on my Ubuntu OS for years, but I don't have any Windows machines sharing files. Your situation may be different.