PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] 15.04 to 15.10 upgrade hang after problem upgrading texlive

ephemerian
November 3rd, 2015, 12:37 PM
I'm upgrading my machine from 15.04 to 15.10 using the online updater. The package upgrades were going OK up to the upgrade of texlive, when it failed with an error setting up tex-common. From the error messages, it looks like https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-release-upgrader/+bug/1341979. What I'm not sure is what to do next. The system flashed up a dialog box with the message "Your system may be in an unusable state" and something about attempting recovery, but since then the upgrade installer has just stopped. System load is 0.02, so there's nothing happening at all. I don't know whether to try rebooting, or re-running the installer, or something else. Advice appreciated!

Thanks,
Ian

ephemerian
November 3rd, 2015, 05:11 PM
Ok, I think I have solved this by manually deleting files as suggested by the error messages and commenting out a line from /var/lib/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg. That allowed apt-get to be able to continue. My system is now up and running again, but I have low confidence that the update completed properly. When I have time, I'll probably nuke the non- /home partitions and reinstall, just to be on the safe side.