PDA

View Full Version : Software Updater issue in Ubuntu

papakota
November 1st, 2015, 01:24 PM
Hello!

I use Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop Edition. I installed Unity Tweak Tool. Now I see Software Updater's message that it must be updated.
It's all nice, BUT... Then I get a message that it requires installation of untrusted packages from unauthenticated sources.
What's going on here?

egeezer
November 1st, 2015, 04:54 PM
With the Tweak tool you got access to utilities that Canonical did not produce. To keep these up to date, you have to once again have access to non-Canonical resources.

Grigoriy
November 2nd, 2015, 05:34 AM
Thanks for your reply! So is it safe to allow it?
P.S. Of course, I can simply delete the tool altogether. Not sure if I still even need it...

Bucky Ball
November 2nd, 2015, 05:38 AM
So is it safe to allow it?

Probably, but we're not exactly saying that. Anything you install from a third-party (or from Canonical for that matter) is entirely at your own risk. As you've installed software from a third-party source, either a PPA or a .deb or some other file directly, you have already taken that risk so it is up to you when it comes to updating.

The message is basically saying this software and its updates were not produced by or officially approved by Canonical, so you proceed at your own risk.

Good luck. :)