PDA

View Full Version : Wow, Nissan.com is owned by Uzi Nissan, and Nissan auto is suing him!

michael-piziak
October 30th, 2015, 01:57 AM
Intriguing story!

http://www.yalelawtech.org/ip-in-the-digital-age/why-nissan-com-isn%E2%80%99t-a-car-website/

And why does everything I type after posting a url also a link to it?

I was also wondering what Uzi Nissan looks like, like is he a Japanese American ?

yetimon_64
October 30th, 2015, 04:52 AM

I was also wondering what Uzi Nissan looks like, like is he a Japanese American ?
Israeli by birth now living in America.

My name is Uzi Nissan. I was born in Jerusalem - Israel. Source.
(http://www.digest.com/Big_Story.php)
A simple google search on the name pops up a few photos, I assume the first is Mr Nissan but won't link to any here, not sure if doing so would be appropriate as I have no way of knowing which is the correct photo. I would assume the first one that shows is the gentleman in question considering how long the "Nissan Vs Nissan" court case has been going.
The initial filing apparently happened last century (Dec. 1999 :shock:); that is a heck of a long time to have to fight to be able to use your own last name ... wow, is all I can say to that, very interesting.

michael-piziak
October 30th, 2015, 07:21 AM
Israeli by birth now living in America.
Source.
(http://www.digest.com/Big_Story.php)
A simple google search on the name pops up a few photos, I assume the first is Mr Nissan but won't link to any here, not sure if doing so would be appropriate as I have no way of knowing which is the correct photo. I would assume the first one that shows is the gentleman in question considering how long the "Nissan Vs Nissan" court case has been going.
The initial filing apparently happened last century (Dec. 1999 :shock:); that is a heck of a long time to have to fight to be able to use your own last name ... wow, is all I can say to that, very interesting.

Lots of great information you supplied here - thanks.

I suspect Mr. Uzi Nissan is already rich, as I have read on other web sites that people keep questioning if he has been offered lots of money for the website.

I certainly suspect that Nissan of Japan (and btw is owned nearly half by French Renault that I learned), I suspect that Nissan has offered the man substantial amounts of money for the domain name - yet he chooses to fight the good fight (since he is probably already financially very stable).

Also, if you go to nissan.com, you see that there are many sponsors that are advertising on that site - more cash flow for him, right? !

And if he is an old man, perhaps he is grumpy, like my dad, and just set in his ways - LOL.

I also did a google search and clicked images and see so many different images - I actually thought the old Japanese man's image that kept coming up was him - but that was likely a Nissan man in Japan that started Datsun/Nissan - which is another point, Mr. Uzi Nissan owned his computer company business many years during a time period that Nissan auto was called Datsun.

I think Mr. Uzi will win in court, and IMO he should. Perhaps his attorney will sue for court costs and he'll come out ahead again!

I also wander what nationality the name is, which is Nissan, since Mr. Uzi is Israeli. So is Nissan a Japanese name or perhaps a Jewish name (or even a French name?)

So yes, *very* interesting. I can't think of any other major company that doesn't own their own domain name!

michael-piziak
October 30th, 2015, 07:28 AM
Update: The highest court in the U.S., our Supreme Court, already ruled in 2005 on behalf of Mr. Utzi.

So Nissan motor company just keeps beating a dead horse and throwing money at suing him - ?

http://articles.latimes.com/2005/apr/19/business/fi-nissan19

yetimon_64
October 30th, 2015, 11:55 AM
...that is a heck of a long time to have to fight to be able to use your own last name ... wow, is all I can say to that, very interesting.

So yes, *very* interesting. I can't think of any other major company that doesn't own their own domain name!

Just to clarify a bit, I was referring to Mr Nissan by my earlier comment re the "last name", I should have said "continue using his last name".

The US supreme court decision was a very good outcome from my point of view. I don't generally like big companies who use their position/wealth to bully small operators, he was there first when they were still called "Datsun" hence in my view he is fully entitled to continue using his registered business name on the internet. Good on him for standing up and defending himself from such a corporation.

So Nissan motor company just keeps beating a dead horse and throwing money at suing him - ? Yes, that is how most big corporations operate, most people would give in within a couple of years. What impressed me most is how courageous and determined he must be to have been fighting this since December 1999.

grahammechanical
October 30th, 2015, 03:16 PM
There was, and for all I know, still is a problem with cyber squatting as a means of extorting money. But there is also a problem with rich corporations bullying small companies. It is a pity that judges and lawyers are more interested in the technicalities of the law rather than the simple human sense of what is justice.

furtom
November 4th, 2015, 04:44 PM
There was, and for all I know, still is a problem with cyber squatting as a means of extorting money. But there is also a problem with rich corporations bullying small companies. It is a pity that judges and lawyers are more interested in the technicalities of the law rather than the simple human sense of what is justice.

It's not considered cyber squatting if it's the person's actual name. Hence the supreme court victory.

No one knows what's in Mr. Nissan's heart, but I'd think if her were after the money, he'd have settled long ago.