PDA

View Full Version : ssd install ubuntu 14.04

tmy
October 27th, 2015, 08:51 PM
Hi
I have bought a 250 GB SSD I have an existing ubuntu 14.04 install on a 1TB conventional drive

can anyone explain how I can use my new 250 GB SSD and keep everything else the same

Or install a clean install of Ubuntu 14.04 on the SSD and have a 2 TB conventional drive do I have to do anything to the 2 TB drive before I can use it from the box ?

As you can tell I'm clueless please be gentle and kind

regards tmy

TheFu
October 27th, 2015, 09:58 PM
1) partition the ssd - websearch for "ubuntu gparted"
2) Format each partition you choose to have with a file system - ext4 is probably best - websearch for "ubuntu mkfs"
3) edit the fstab file and add each partition you'd like mounted inside there - websearch for "ubuntu fstab"
4) don't forget to create an empty directory to be used as the "mount point" - it can be anywhere.

You didn't say how you wanted to use the ssd. For new stuff, it is easy. For existing stuff, it is more complex.

You'll want to use UUIDs - those can be listed with sudo blkid
You didn't say whether you wanted to use LVM or not. If you don't know, do a little reading about it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logical_Volume_Manager_%28Linux%29 there are pros/cons to using LVM. Only you can decide if it fits. If you choose to use LVM, create 1 partition and don't format it with a file system.

If you desire to make the new SSD the primary OS/application disk, then installing a fresh 14.04.1 disk would be best. 5 yrs of support. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases notice how not every 14.04 release gets 5 yrs of support? We have to be careful.

tmy
October 27th, 2015, 10:15 PM
Hi The Fu thank you for your reply ,
my title should have been 14.04 NOT 10.04 sorry guys
I have bought a 250 GB SSD I have an existing ubuntu 14.04 install on a 1TB conventional drive

can anyone explain how I can use my new 250 GB SSD and keep everything else the same

Or install a clean install of Ubuntu 14.04 on the SSD and have a 2 TB conventional drive do I have to do anything to the 2 TB drive before I can use it from the box ?

As you can tell I'm clueless please be gentle and kind

I just want to use the SSD for the ubuntu os and carry on as is because everything is working well

regards tmy

yancek
October 27th, 2015, 10:52 PM
Do you want to leave Ubuntu on the 1TB drive since it is already installed there?
Do you want to use the SSD for data storage?
If the answers to the above are yes, then either use GParted Partition Manager which is on the Ubuntu installation medium or download it from the Software Center and then create a partition or partitions on the SSD. If you are not familiar with GParted, the link below is to the manual written by the developers which you can review.

http://gparted.org/display-doc.php%3Fname%3Dhelp-manual

It might clarify things if you can boot Ubuntu and run the command below posting the output here. Make sure the SSD it attached before running the command.

sudo fdisk -lLower Case letter L in the command.

TheFu
October 28th, 2015, 12:04 AM
Not all fdisks are safe with GPT disks.

Please use sudo parted -l instead.

TMY, you haven't answered my questions - how do you want to use the new SSD? You have to be specific.

tmy
October 28th, 2015, 06:16 AM
Hi The Fu,
thank you for helping me, I might be wanting the impossible, the set up I have at the moment is ubuntu 14.04 running on a 1TB conventional harddrive. I keep getting the screen go grey and computer will temporarily freeze the light on the harddrive activity with light up like it is really trying to do something I can't do anything then it will come back fine but slow

I just reboot and everything is good again

I wanted to use the SSD for the os and the 1TB to store all my downloads and docs and photos etc, maybe it's just not possible now to separate the two

I hope that all makes sense

regards
and many thanks

tmy

TheFu
October 28th, 2015, 10:10 AM
tmy - you can certainly do that, but my explanation skills are not to that level to explain all the steps and tiny details you would likely need explained. Sorry.

I can offer an overview of what needs to happen, which is really quiet simple.

Linux/Unix is dumb. If the storage is placed onto the correct location, with the correct files and directories and owner, group, permissions, then the OS will be happy. All you need to do is move the everything except /home to the new SSD. This assumes you've left all the large files and (non-OS and non-application files) in the normal places.

There could be complexities. LVM and/or encryption would make the steps harder. Actually, if there is encryption, I would punt myself and start with a fresh install on the SSD.

After the files are all moved to the new storage, you'll need to fix the /etc/fstab to recognize /, swap, and /home storage mounts. May need to fix /boot too - if that is separate. It might not be.

Then you'll need to fix the bootloader, grub. grub-install and update-grub are the tools for that. There is a boot-repair tool which might "just work" too.

The only hard part about all of this is that you need to perform all these tasks from a live-boot, not from the currently installed OS.

Minus the time it takes to copy everything over, the partitioning, editing, boot fixes would take someone who knows what they are doing about 5 minutes. Sadly, it may be an impossible task for someone without extensive partitioning, booting, and other Linux skills.

For someone with minimal skills, just unplug the old disk and leave only the SSD connected, then do a fresh install. After, connect the old disk and mount /home where you need it by editing the /etc/fstab. This is fairy easy. Be certain to use sudoedit whenever editing system files. Then cleanup the old OS files from the big disk.

To begin, let's see what you are working with. Please post the cmd and output from each of these:

$ lsblk
$ df -h
$ sudo parted -l
$ more /etc/fstab

Use code-tags so things line up.

It should go without saying, but moving all this data around and partitioning are destructive commands. Make a mistake and everything could be lost. Backup everything you cannot lose to a different disk, disconnect it, move the backup to a different room. You've been warned.

yancek
October 28th, 2015, 03:26 PM
Certainly the option to do a new install of Ubuntu to the SSD would not be difficult and is probably the safest option given your level of experience. There are also ways to copy the entire Ubuntu to the SSD but that will be much more difficult for an inexperienced user. The first step, in any case is to give the information requested showing your drive/partition structure.

tmy
October 28th, 2015, 04:34 PM
Hi guys,
thanks The Fu and Yancek,
fallen at the first hurdle the commands just didn't work. If I can pull this off anyone can do it I promise. I have played around with Linux but not having anyone who I can turn to it's been painful and slow forums are great and I appreciate everyone's time I really do, but it's painfully slow and drawn out

I know a program in Windows ( I know hiss boo :-) ) but it's called Fabs auto back up it does everything anyone would need but in Linux situations like this people are on their own as nothing is written. I wish in situations were this scenario must be common, programs or code could be written

I digress though, I fancy installing ubuntu on the ssd and then plug the big old conventional drive back in but after that I would get lost. The ssd is only 250 GB so it can't hold the contents of my old conventional drive.

Here is what happened to those commands when I ran them :

stan@stan-System-Product-Name:~$ $ lsblk
$: command not found
stan@stan-System-Product-Name:~$ $ df -h
stan@stan-System-Product-Name:~$ $ sudo parted -l
stan@stan-System-Product-Name:~$ $ more /etc/fstab
stan@stan-System-Product-Name:~$ $ lsblk
stan@stan-System-Product-Name:~$

Cheers guys I hope your not getting fed up with me

Regards

tmy

ubfan1
October 28th, 2015, 04:59 PM
You are typing the "$" -- don't, that is just the prompt.

lisati
October 28th, 2015, 05:13 PM
my title should have been 14.04 NOT 10.04 sorry guys

I've edited your thread title for you.

tmy
October 28th, 2015, 05:17 PM
Thank you ubfan1

feeling stupid :-(

regards

tmy

tmy
October 28th, 2015, 05:24 PM
Ok I managed to get the info after help from ub fan 1 thank you mate I'm hopeless but really want to learn so it's embarrassing :

stan@stan-System-Product-Name:~$ lsblk
NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda 8:0 0 931.5G 0 disk
├─sda1 8:1 0 243M 0 part /boot
├─sda2 8:2 0 1K 0 part
└─sda5 8:5 0 931.3G 0 part
├─ubuntu--vg-root (dm-0) 252:0 0 925.3G 0 lvm /
└─ubuntu--vg-swap_1 (dm-1) 252:1 0 6G 0 lvm [SWAP]
sr0 11:0 1 1024M 0 rom
stan@stan-System-Product-Name:~$ df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/ubuntu--vg-root 911G 813G 52G 95% /
none 4.0K 0 4.0K 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
udev 2.9G 4.0K 2.9G 1% /dev
tmpfs 591M 1.3M 589M 1% /run
none 5.0M 0 5.0M 0% /run/lock
none 2.9G 3.3M 2.9G 1% /run/shm
none 100M 60K 100M 1% /run/user
/dev/sda1 236M 185M 39M 83% /boot
stan@stan-System-Product-Name:~$ sudo parted -l
[sudo] password for stan:
Model: ATA ST1000DM003-1CH1 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 1000GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
Partition Table: msdos

Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
1 1049kB 256MB 255MB primary ext2 boot
2 257MB 1000GB 1000GB extended
5 257MB 1000GB 1000GB logical lvm

Model: Linux device-mapper (linear) (dm)
Disk /dev/mapper/ubuntu--vg-swap_1: 6371MB
Partition Table: loop

Number Start End Size File system Flags
1 0.00B 6371MB 6371MB linux-swap(v1)

Model: Linux device-mapper (linear) (dm)
Disk /dev/mapper/ubuntu--vg-root: 994GB
Partition Table: loop

Number Start End Size File system Flags
1 0.00B 994GB 994GB ext4

stan@stan-System-Product-Name:~$ more /etc/fstab
# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
# device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
# that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
/dev/mapper/ubuntu--vg-root / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
# /boot was on /dev/sda1 during installation
UUID=e29fa5ed-0c55-479e-85a9-66301cada51a /boot ext2 defaults
0 2
/dev/mapper/ubuntu--vg-swap_1 none swap sw 0 0
stan@stan-System-Product-Name:~$

regards

tmy

1clue
October 28th, 2015, 06:09 PM
tmy,

What you want to do is very possible, and not really all that complicated. But given your level of experience it's probably going to be a challenge.

I'm going to explain what needs to happen in layman's terms.

First, when you put the output of a command into your post, it helps to put code tags around it so it's easier to read and so we know where the output stops. Code tags are created when you use the # button on the post editor.

Here's what needs to happen:

You need to partition the SSD.

You could use the same layout as your spinner has.
You could do something else, like lvm filesystems.

You need to format the SSD partitions.

You probably will want ext4.

You need to mount the SSD partitions in a temporary location.

/mnt is a typical place

You need to copy the data you want onto the temporary location.

Since your SSD is smaller than your spinner, you'll have to be careful to not overfill the disk.
sudo cp -rax / /mnt for example

You need to adjust the /etc/fstab file on your temporary location to use the new partition scheme.
You need to adjust your boot loader to point to use the SSD as /.

QIII
October 28th, 2015, 06:21 PM
Hello!

Please use code tags when posting terminal commands and results. That will preserve any formatting and also make your post easier to read.

1. If you are using the "Reply to Thread" button - highlight text and use the # button in the text box header. Alternatively, click the # button first, place your cursor between the code tags and type or paste your text.

2. If using "Quick Reply" then type
at the beginning and at the end. The square brackets are required.

There is absolutely no reason to feel embarrassed here. We exist for the purpose of providing support. We want people to be able to learn without the "newbie scorn" you may find elsewhere. We simply don't tolerate it.

Ask questions. While we do ask that users first search for an answer previously provided on the Forums or a simple question that might be answered by a web search, we do not close threads when people ask a question already asked and answered. We may direct you to a similar thread that was solved or a resource on the web, but we also know that everyone's situation is different and that an answer previously given may not exactly apply to you. We want you to feel free to come back to the thread and say "Hey, that didn't work!" This isn't a StackExchange forum where threads are closed because the question has already been asked elsewhere.

If you don't understand an answer given, ask for clarification. It is easy for those of us who have been using Linux since the '90s to forget that what seems trivial to us is often inscrutable to those just starting out -- even if we try hard not to do that. Don't let us go over your head. Don't feel embarrassed to say we went over your head. That's our failure, not yours.

We want people to learn here. We don't want them to feel put down. If you get an answer like that, please report it and the Staff will deal with it.

Every time we help someone solve a problem, we leave a record of that solution for someone else with a similar problem to find. We're continuously building a "knowledge base" of sorts.

Cheers!

tmy
October 28th, 2015, 06:21 PM
Hi 1 Clue,
thank you so much for taking time to reply and help out

I think I'm doomed what you have explained is like talking in Chinese and really disappointing as I was looking forward to having a crack at this project. Thank you again

regards

tmy

1clue
October 28th, 2015, 06:38 PM
If you're willing to give it a try, there will be plenty of people here familiar with what needs to happen.

We were all new users once. Somebody helped us out in the beginning and I'm pretty sure all of us still get help fairly frequently too. Don't be shy.

Most of this you can do without altering your original install. Which means you could still reboot and it comes back with exactly what you have right now, and your SSD is waiting for you to finish.

TheFu
October 29th, 2015, 01:00 PM
tmy - happy you posted the results. It shows that the 1TB disk is mostly full. Making 950G fit into 250G SSD isn't possible. That means you have to know what are and are not the OS files and how much storage they require, if we try to move the install from 1T to 250G.

Your install is using LVM. Not a bad thing, but it does complicate things.

At your current level of skill, I'd strongly recommend unplugging the 1T disk and doing a fresh install onto the SSD. I'll assume that going forward. You should specifically ask the question here to get other opinions about going in this direction. It will be 10x easier than the alternatives and you won't be without a booting system.

When you connect the 1T drive back up, you'll need to rename the volume group and logical volumes to prevent conflicts with the new install. I've never done this, but it looks easy. A little reading about LVM would be good, so you don't get confused with all the commands.

Hopefully someone who has done this will say if vgexport is required before the first disconnection or not. Then vgrename will be required. VGs cannot have the same name on a system. These are just names, not important in any other way. Similar requirement for LVs - the names are just names, but should be unique. lvrename.

Anyway, let us know which way you'd like to proceed.