PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] The application "touchpad-indicator" is not working

danielsender
October 27th, 2015, 04:49 PM
I just installed 14.04.3 in a Toshiba Portege R900. Everything went well, except for the application that I installed called "touchpad-indicator". When I click on Accessories->touchpad-indicator nothing happens. Furthermore the icon shown is just a red "ban" (or whatever is called) and not the usual icon. I have exactly the same version of the program running on a Dell M90 and there are no problems. I tried reinstalling but no avail. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Daniel

danielsender
October 28th, 2015, 07:04 PM
I just installed 14.04.3 in a Toshiba Portege R900. Everything went well, except for the application that I installed called "touchpad-indicator". When I click on Accessories->touchpad-indicator nothing happens. Furthermore the icon shown is just a red "ban" (or whatever is called) and not the usual icon. I have exactly the same version of the program running on a Dell M90 and there are no problems. I tried reinstalling but no avail. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Daniel

bump

jawilljr2
October 28th, 2015, 07:29 PM
Are you affected by this bug.? (https://bugs.launchpad.net/touchpad-indicator/+bug/1482039)

If so the workaround is in that thread.

sudodus
October 28th, 2015, 07:49 PM
In Lubuntu and Xubuntu you can also simply use the following commands

synclient touchpadoff=1

to turn off the touchpad, and

synclient touchpadoff=0

to turn it on again.

You can make aliases for the commands to make them more convenient to use, or put them into autostart.

danielsender
October 28th, 2015, 07:52 PM
yes, same bug. when I get home I'll try the fix.

Thanks a lot.

jawilljr2
October 28th, 2015, 07:53 PM
In Lubuntu and Xubuntu you can also simply use the following commands

synclient touchpadoff=1

to turn off the touchpad, and

synclient touchpadoff=0

to turn it on again.

You can make aliases for the commands to make them more convenient to use, or put them into autostart.

What I like about touchpad-indicator is that when you plug in an external mouse it automatically turns of the touchpad.

danielsender
October 28th, 2015, 07:54 PM
the problem with this solution is that this machine belongs to a person who is not very good at opening terminals and such - besides, it's nice to have it working automatically. Thanks!

jawilljr2
October 28th, 2015, 07:55 PM
yes, same bug. when I get home I'll try the fix.

Thanks a lot.

Hope it works.

sudodus
October 28th, 2015, 07:55 PM
Yes, when it works, the Touchpad Indicator is great. :-)

danielsender
October 29th, 2015, 07:31 AM
I just use the solution given on the given link to create the

~/.config/touchpad-indicator/touchpad-indicator.conf
and everything works well.

Thanks guys.

Daniel