PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How do I install Optimus/nVIDIA on a Dell M4800 (Quadro K1100M)

frogotronic
October 27th, 2015, 04:15 PM
Hello,

I am an experienced Ubuntu user, and just got a new Dell Precision Workstation M4800 with an nVIDIA K1100M Quadro card. I've sucessfully installed the nVIDIA drivers and I'm using that (exclusively).

I'd like to try and install the Optimus system and I need a step by step guide for Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS AMD 64.

I believe at this point that I'd need to (a) uninstall the nVIDIA drivers, (b) remove the xorg.conf file, (c) install the optimus system, (d) reboot and go into the BIOS and turn on the Optimus option.

Should I be using the Xorg Edgers PPA? Or should I just stick to the vanilla Ubuntu 14.04 nVIDIA repos?

A link to a guide would be helpful.

Thanks,
Andor

frogotronic
October 27th, 2015, 04:18 PM
Whoops - somehow this got double posted - can you erase one of the duplicates (say this one)?

Vladlenin5000
October 28th, 2015, 06:36 AM
Dell Precision Workstation M4800 doesn't look like an optimus system (hybrid Intel+Nvidia). It's a customizable notebook with 3 different graphics options, one AMD and two Nvidias as far as I can tell from the Dell's website.