PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ubuntu 15.04 starting in version 219 emergency mode!

avishek_arora
October 24th, 2015, 02:01 PM
after updating ubuntu to 15.04 after some days i got this error message.
my ubuntu is booting in emergency mode on the boot screen it says.

starting version 219
welcome to emergence mode! After logging in , type "journalctl -xb" to view
system logs, "systemctl reboot" to reboot, "systemctl default" or ^D to
try again to boot into default mode
root@mydesktop:~#

it gives me root access to the terminal and when i try several command like sudo apt-get update i found that it's didn't able to connect to the internet.
when i use command systemctl default i got the graphical login screen then i enter my credentials and after some time it goes back to the terminal and says
"Error getting authority: Error initializing authority: could not connect: no such file or directory ( g-io-error-quark, 1)
hangup"

i don't want to install a fresh copy of ubuntu. i have access to all my file via root terminal but graphical interface is not working i don't know why.
please suggest me a way to fix this problem without installing a fresh copy of ubuntu.

dino99
October 24th, 2015, 03:43 PM
when you have done the installation, your user & password have been set by yourself. You also get administrative rights via 'sudo'
So you might login with your user; but xauthority complaint, meaning the installation has not been made as expected.
You can get a newer .Xauthority file if you delete the actual one :
sudo rm ~/.Xauthority (copy/paste that command into a terminal)
On the next login the deleted file is recreated by the system

avishek_arora
October 24th, 2015, 05:55 PM
it did follow what you said and gave command sudo rm ~/.Xauthority
it's says

rm: canot remove /root/.Xauthority: No such file or directory

any other suggestions ??

Dennis N
October 24th, 2015, 08:19 PM
Is this .Xauthority file you are planning to remove in your home directory? Using sudo with ~/ is apparently being interpreted as root user's home directory. I suggest not using this shortcut notation. Instead (suppose your user name is avishek) try first without sudo:

rm /home/avishek/.Xauthority

and if that fails (probably meaning you don't own it), try it again with sudo in front.

Info:
The /root directory is the home directory of the root account. It is also referred to as the root user's home directory (and not as the root directory).

avishek_arora
October 24th, 2015, 08:50 PM
i also did replaced it with my home directory path. still it says No such file or directory.

Dennis N
October 24th, 2015, 09:21 PM
Have you verified that it is really missing?

cd to your home folder, run this command and check the output (my output shown):

[dmn@Sydney ~]$ ls -la .Xauthority
-rw------- 1 dmn users 51 Oct 24 11:38 .Xauthority

If it is missing, dino99 says it will be recreated on next login. If he is wrong, you need to find out how to generate a new one.