PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Option to see on Unity Launcher Open Apps.

Ifaistos
October 17th, 2015, 11:20 AM
Hello everyone :-)

I've been looking both in Ubuntu Tweak and Unity Tweak but I couldn't find it.
I know it's there, but I just can't find it!

Could someone tell me if there is a way to see which of the apps on the Unity Launcher are already open (in ALL workspaces) and if there is a way to distinguish between the ones in the current workspace and in other wordspaces?

Thanks !

buzzingrobot
October 17th, 2015, 12:31 PM
In Unity Tweak Tool, in Window Manager -> Window Spread, you can enable <Super><Shift>w to show a spread of all windows in all workspaces.

The Launcher will show a small marker on both the left and right side of the icons of windows open on the current desktop. It will show a single marker on the left side of icons of windows open on other desktops. (This may be theme-specific.)

Ifaistos
October 17th, 2015, 12:59 PM
Wow!

This is nice :-)

I didn't know you could do that!
When I press <super><shift> I see a number 0...9 on the first icons on the launcher, an "s" and a "d".

Which is pretty nice!

What I want is to be able to see on the launcher which apps are open and which are not.
The Launcher changes the icons when you are on the workspace (by "filling" them), so that you know which ones are open on the current workspace. I do remember that I have seen somewhere the option to add a line around the apps that are open, but NOT on the same workspace.

Does anyone remember where that is?

Thanks!

deadflowr
October 17th, 2015, 06:32 PM
Launchers that are open always have an arrow on the left side.
The app which is in focus will always have an arrow on the right side.
So in that regard, you should always know which apps are running, and which has the focus.

In ccsm in the Ubuntu Unity Plugin's launcher section, if you toggle the setting for Launcher Icon Backlight Mode to "Backlight and Edge Illumination toggles" the Icons in use in the current workspace will be opaque while icons for apps in other workspaces will be transparent.
Of course, though, different icon-themes might behave different to this.
But it works with the default ubuntu-mono-light/dark icons.

Ifaistos
October 17th, 2015, 07:03 PM
I really don't know why, but my launcher does not show any arrows on the left. Maybe it's because I have the icons as small as possible and the launcher size all the way to the left.

deadflowr
October 17th, 2015, 07:17 PM
Is your monitor's screen settings centered?
If the screen settings is toggled to the left then it would be reasonable to assume the launcher would be off screen.

I mean I typically set the launchers at 32 pixels, but even going as low as 8 pixels still shows the arrows.

Ifaistos
October 20th, 2015, 10:45 AM
You are right!
All I had to do is an automatic centering!!

Thanks!