PDA

View Full Version : HOWTO: Get your browser to handle Azureus magnet links

Nick Rivers
August 5th, 2006, 09:48 AM
If you're wondering how to get your browser to handle Azureus magnet links then here's how:

Open a terminal and enter the followuing commands

gconftool-2 -t string -s /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/magnet/command "/opt/azureus/azureus %s"

gconftool-2 -s /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/magnet/needs_terminal false -t bool

gconftool-2 -t bool -s /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/magnet/enabled true

That's it. Now when you click on an Azureus magnet link in your browser, it will be opened in Azureus.

Haegin
October 9th, 2006, 06:28 PM
Great but the first link has curly quotes so it should be

gconftool-2 -t string -s /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/magnet/command "/opt/azureus/azureus %s"

with non curly quotes.

Nick Rivers
December 27th, 2006, 06:24 AM
Thanks for catching the typo! I've corrected the code in my original post. :)

leetcharmer
July 21st, 2007, 03:03 PM
Great but the first link has curly quotes so it should be

with non curly quotes.

in the quotes, it should prolly just say "azureus %s" ... that's the only thing that made it work for me :D

analog_G
September 27th, 2007, 02:14 AM
I also had trouble using /opt/azureus/azureus %s.
I installed azureus with Synaptic. Path to azureus on my machine is
/usr/bin/azureus.
Using the first posted code with "/usr/bin/azureus %s" worked for me.
Thanks for your suggestions.

ko_ko_now
November 18th, 2009, 12:40 PM
thanks, my FF problem fixed ,

i used the:

$> which azureus command to find the right path of azureus and replace it to the first command.

-

although i fix the problem...
i have a question, are the commands "vuse" and "azureus" the same?

$> which vuze
/usr/bin/vuze

$> which azureus
/usr/bin/azureus

Spartan.II.117
November 18th, 2009, 11:41 PM
This also works for deluge, you just have to change the path to match

trytenn
November 19th, 2009, 03:57 PM
I wrote in wrong thread

greylander
November 20th, 2009, 03:04 PM
Spartan, I tried this with Deluge and it didn't work. What version of deluge do you have (and how/where did you get it)?

I have deluge 1.1.6 which seems to be the latest available in the normal repositories. But I think deluge is actually up to 1.2.x.

Even if I try to invoke deluge directly from command line with magnet link as parameter, it just starts deluge and (apparently) ignores the link. Maybe this is just because deluge 1.1.6 does not support the magnets?

Can you show the exact gconftool command you use for deluge? Is it like this?

Is it possible that additional quotes are needed around the %s?

EDIT: Correction, deluge 1.2.0-rc3 is in the repositories and I just upgraded, but I still can't get it to work. There are two problems: (1) deluge starts but apparently does not add the torrent of the magnet link -- maybe I am not seeing because magnet links are handled differently somehow? (2) if deluge is already running, it appears it starts up a second instance of deluge instead (and still does not start the magnet torrent).

Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

jackhynes
November 20th, 2009, 03:58 PM
Any chance of getting it working in Transmission? Also will this work in Chromium?

kommunisti
November 21st, 2009, 01:10 AM
Any chance of getting it working in Transmission? Also will this work in Chromium?

Transmission doesn't support magnet links, yet. They are planning to include magnet support in the upcoming 1.8 release.

patryk77
January 10th, 2010, 11:21 PM
Wonderful post, just what I was looking for.

I installed the new Transmission 1.80b4

sudo apt-get install build-essential libcanberra-gtk-dev libcanberra-pulse libcanberra-dev libgconf2-dev libnotify-dev libgtk2.0-dev intltool libcurl4-openssl-dev libssl-dev

Should install all the dependencies I believe.

Then simply download the latest Beta from http://www.transmissionbt.com/index.php

./configure --prefix=/usr/
make
sudo make install

Then simply replace the original command with

gconftool-2 -t string -s /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/magnet/command "/usr/bin/transmission %s"

And voilą!

Your very own Transmission with Magnet Link support ;)

Notice: This is still Beta software. While it is working for me and hasn't crashed so far, your mileage may vary.

Also, notice that I simply overwrote the original installation. This IS NOT!!! the proper way of doing things if you are not as lazy as I am :-\"

hobo14
January 11th, 2010, 04:40 AM
Wonderful post, just what I was looking for.

I installed the new Transmission 1.80b4

sudo apt-get install build-essential libcanberra-gtk-dev libcanberra-pulse libcanberra-dev libgconf2-dev libnotify-dev libgtk2.0-dev intltool libcurl4-openssl-dev libssl-dev

Should install all the dependencies I believe.

Then simply download the latest Beta from http://www.transmissionbt.com/index.php

./configure --prefix=/usr/
make
sudo make install

Then simply replace the original command with

gconftool-2 -t string -s /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/magnet/command "/usr/bin/transmission %s"

And voilą!

Your very own Transmission with Magnet Link support ;)

Notice: This is still Beta software. While it is working for me and hasn't crashed so far, your mileage may vary.

Also, notice that I simply overwrote the original installation. This IS NOT!!! the proper way of doing things if you are not as lazy as I am :-\"

Thanks Patryk, I'm (at least ;) ) as lazy as you, and yours was the perfect solution for my magnet link needs.

freddybob
January 23rd, 2010, 02:24 PM
(1) deluge starts but apparently does not add the torrent of the magnet link -- maybe I am not seeing because magnet links are handled differently somehow? (2) if deluge is already running, it appears it starts up a second instance of deluge instead (and still does not start the magnet torrent).

Same two problems for me. Though I notice in Deluge's status bar it says there is one torrent queued.

neilblue
August 22nd, 2010, 02:58 PM
Hi,

I got this working using:

gconftool-2 -t string -s /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/magnet/command "/usr/bin/deluge %s"

And latest deluge 1.2.2 from synaptic.

When you add a magnet URL, it is listed as a hash code and then changes to the file name when the download starts.

Hope this helps

Cheers
Neil

heepie
January 13th, 2012, 02:51 AM
Any updates on this with Ubuntu 11.10

It doesn't use gconf anymore but dconf. How to enable magnet links?