PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Would like help installing any buntu OS on a Dell XPS M1730

ovingiv
October 13th, 2015, 08:56 PM
Hello!

Well I have a problem with a laptop I had gotten from my friend. And from the title above it's what it is. I have a Dell XPS M1730 and I would like it running a variant of buntu but don't know what would work the best for performance.

I've mostly used Ubuntu 12.04LTS for my Acer Chromebook C720. And have used Ubuntu 14.04TLS on my Desktop with almost no issues.

The only problem is when I try to install Windows 7 ultimate 64bit, I get graphical issues. I wasn't really planing on using it for gaming but for more for video editing and developing.

I would like help on choosing a variant of buntu and would like help with getting the right graphical drivers or kernel for it to work. The graphics are the Dual 8700M GT 256mb. So, I could have 512mb of g-ram. It has 6gb of DDR2-SD ram. Intel Core 2 Duo 2.50 GHz CPU. If there is anything else you need to know about it just let me know.

Thank you!

ovingiv
October 14th, 2015, 05:28 PM
I'm still looking for help on this...

howefield
October 14th, 2015, 05:39 PM
A quick look around seems to suggest that any Ubuntu variant would be fine on the machine, so it is more a case of what your preference is.

Have you tried booting a Live Ubuntu USB to test how the hardware works out of the box ?

Mahogan
October 14th, 2015, 05:40 PM
I agree with howefield. Personally 14.04LTS might be best. Take a look at this tho: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1771806

sudodus
October 14th, 2015, 05:42 PM
For many purposes I think the computer has enough horsepower and RAM to run standard Ubuntu and all the flavours. For video (playing and visual editing) it may work better with a light desktop environment (try Lubuntu or Xubuntu with lubuntu-core installed afterwards).

- Dual 8700M GT 256mb: nvidia I suppose. I guess you will need the boot option nomodeset until you install an nvidia proprietary driver. Start with the one suggested by the system.

ovingiv
October 14th, 2015, 06:20 PM
Thanks for the suggestions... I have not tried to load any onto it. I'll try to use Ubuntu 14.04lts first. Oh, and @Mahogan (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=722573) thanks for the link

ovingiv
October 15th, 2015, 03:13 PM
Well from what I now know, I need to replace the graphic card in it. But I thank you all for helping. I'll put it as solved. That was the only reason why it also had problems with windows 7 was because of the graphic card hardware not software.