PDA

View Full Version : How to push Wayland, Xorg and others to finally implement 1px wide I-beam cursor?

john469
October 13th, 2015, 04:07 PM
I asked a question about 3px vs 1px cursor in desktop Linux here:

http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/235759/is-there-any-reason-to-not-use-similar-cursors-to-windows-by-linux-distributions

and on some other places, but it seems that nobody knows why it is already not done in current X server or other implementations.

Can somebody suggest a place where should I ask for the implementation of the 1px wide select text (I-beam) mouse cursor, like in Windows?

The 3px wide cursor is very difficult to use with "lll"-like strings and small fonts where the cursor is bigger than the part you want to copy/cut. and not talking about pasting between single or double quotes.

I am sure a lot of Ubuntu users know what I am talking about.

Thank you for any suggestion who to approach to implement this in Ubuntu and/or other distros, if possible.

mc4man
October 13th, 2015, 11:06 PM
What has this to do with Wayland & Xorg?, seems to be theme & even more so, app specific.
Here with gedit & sublime text the cursor is a 1px I-beam, in nautilus, firefox & libreoffice writer it's 3px by default.