PDA

View Full Version : Is time to buy new speakers?

KayeNg
October 8th, 2015, 05:07 PM
Hi guys. My desktop is a dual boot, windows and lubuntu. The usb speakers are several years old. Only recently did I notice that the left speaker has no sound. I thought it was Lubuntu issue. I boot windows, same thing.

Time to replace speakers or can I do something about it?

tgalati4
October 8th, 2015, 06:22 PM
Take a voltmeter and measure the resistance across the leads of the speaker. It should be 8 Ohms, or possibly 16 Ohms. You may have to open up the enclosure to get to the speaker. If you really like the speaker, you can find replacement drivers at http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/category/580/speakers/1.html.

If you are not up to fixing it, then check craigslist or a local donation store. There are usually lots of PC speakers available.

KayeNg
October 9th, 2015, 10:56 AM
Thank you

RichardET
October 10th, 2015, 11:57 AM
a new set on the cheap side is under $20, including tax.

poorguy
October 24th, 2015, 05:27 PM
guys I have bought kick ass set of altec two channel speakers with subwoofer at a local thrift store in class a condition for $6.00
if you know what to look for you buy better used with lots of audio power for cheaper IMO. I see them all of the time as people want to down size there desktop space.
have also found surround speakers that work great with my desktop for minimal dollars and no complaints.
good quality set of altec speakers will last a lifetime as the are built that way. altec speaker systems have been around for ever and there are none better.