PDA

View Full Version : Is Gnome.org down for you?

mostwanted
August 5th, 2006, 04:27 AM
It's been down for me the last 24 hours :S

I miss my planet Gnome.

scxtt
August 5th, 2006, 04:28 AM
nope, works for me ...

23meg
August 5th, 2006, 04:32 AM
Down right now.

scxtt
August 5th, 2006, 04:34 AM
still works for me :p

Jucato
August 5th, 2006, 06:06 AM
Works for me. I'm also still receiving feeds from Planet GNOME.

mostwanted
August 5th, 2006, 11:10 AM
Damn, this is strange. I see no other reason than the probability that they somehow blocked my IP.

OffHand
August 5th, 2006, 11:30 AM
Damn, this is strange. I see no other reason than the probability that they somehow blocked my IP.

can you ping it in the terminal?

ping www.gnome.org

ping 209.132.176.176

mostwanted
August 5th, 2006, 12:08 PM
I got some help at #gnome and did a tracepath to gnome.org and it told me that traffic wasn't even leaving my network, so I restarted all networking devices I could find in my house and it works now :)

I feel pretty stupid to have created a topic about this when it's a local problem, but just found it strange that it only affected gnome.org and subdomains.

OffHand
August 5th, 2006, 12:16 PM
I got some help at #gnome and did a tracepath to gnome.org and it told me that traffic wasn't even leaving my network, so I restarted all networking devices I could find in my house and it works now :)

I feel pretty stupid to have created a topic about this when it's a local problem, but just found it strange that it only affected gnome.org and subdomains.

At least it is working again :)

ComplexNumber
August 5th, 2006, 12:17 PM
its fine for me. i've just gone there now.

i think thats probably it. it happens with everyone from time to time. when it happens again, just switch your router on then off, and try again (this will change the IP address). it will then work.
strangely enough, this problem only seems to occur on windows - never on linux :-k

OffHand
August 5th, 2006, 12:40 PM
when it happens again, just switch your router on then off, and try again (this will change the IP address). it will then work.

This will not change the ip address. Your modem and router will pick up the same lease again if there isn't a new lease available.

ComplexNumber
August 5th, 2006, 12:47 PM
This will not change the ip address. Your modem and router will pick up the same lease again if there isn't a new lease available.
it does. it changes the last block. for example, if the IP that appears to the external network(ie the internet) is currently 111.22.33.444. if you switch the router off then on again, the IP may become 111.22.33.123. its never failed to change it, ever.
perhaps you're referring to the IP address on the internal network that connects the router to your PC. in that case, switching the router off then on doesn't change that.

OffHand
August 5th, 2006, 01:04 PM
it does. it changes the last block. for example, if the IP that appears to the external network(ie the internet) is currently 111.22.33.444. if you switch the router off then on again, the IP may become 111.22.33.123. its never failed to change it, ever.
perhaps you're referring to the IP address on the internal network that connects the router to your PC. in that case, switching the router off then on doesn't change that.

I was talking about the ip address that is visible to the world, not the internal network. When you powercycle the modem/router it will just send a new request to the dhcp server of your isp. If the lease that is available for you is the same as the lease that you had before the powercycle you will get the same ip address again.

ComplexNumber
August 5th, 2006, 01:09 PM
If the lease that is available for you is the same as the lease that you had before the powercycle you will get the same ip address again. like i say, its never failed to change it on my router.....ever.

OffHand
August 5th, 2006, 01:20 PM
like i say, its never failed to change it on my router.....ever.
I suppose it depends on the way isp use dhcp

scxtt
August 7th, 2006, 04:15 AM
i've never seen the IP address for a cable modem just change ... and i've unplugged them numerous times -- this is also w/ different modems and 2 different cable providers ... my parents have had the same IP for years, spanning 2 or 3 different routers and mines been the same for the 6 months i've been living here ...

TravisNewman
August 7th, 2006, 04:26 AM
Mine has only changed about twice in the past 2 years and I have reset my router a bunch of times, mostly because of power failures. I've had the router off for a week and got the same IP address when I plugged back in.