PDA

View Full Version : Linux update and now I can't boot

sccjono
October 7th, 2015, 02:12 PM
Hello all, firstly can I apologise because I am relatively ignorant of the inner workings of Linux and so may well say something stupid.

I am using Ubuntu 15.04 and all has been well until today when an update to what I assume is the Linux kernel was installed and my system now freezes at the unity login prompt. The new files were numbered something like 3.19.0.31-35 and I'm sure they were replacing those numbered 3.19.0.31-34 and were "generic" and "headers" etc. Does that make any sense? I have seen these kind of updates quite regularly and they have never caused a problem before but as I say re-booting afterwards causes a freeze that means I have to turn my laptop off.

I am logged in now as I am able to choose what I assume is an older kernel of 3.19.0-30 from the advanced grub menu which seems to work ok.

Has anyone got any advice?

Regards,
jono

dino99
October 7th, 2015, 03:45 PM
a kernel image/header can be corrupted (in that case, purge the 4 related files, update the archive, and reinstall it) (of course always use the genuine ones)
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux

Sometimes it can be an ABI/driver issue; so use the previous kernel until a fixed one is rebuilt

pauljw
October 7th, 2015, 04:18 PM
Looks like the fix has been committed: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1503655

christian-bobach
October 7th, 2015, 06:27 PM
I had exact same issue

sccjono
October 7th, 2015, 09:36 PM
Thank you guys, I'm not entirely sure I understand what I'm reading in the links that you've provided. Are we saying to continue to boot from the previous kernel and wait for another update to replace the broken one?

If that is the case, is there any problem in running the 'sudo apt-get dist-upgrade' command when you are not running the latest kernel on your machine?

Thanks again,
jono

sccjono
October 8th, 2015, 03:45 PM
OK I have just received the files in an update for 3.19.0-31.36 and I can now log in OK. I still get error messages but I can put up with those. Thanks for your assistance guys.

jono