PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] HAdoop 2.7.1 Installation Tar file error

vivek26
October 6th, 2015, 10:38 AM
This is what am getting when am trying to run following command . Kindly suggest what to do , i am new to ubuntu ,my hadoop is downloaded in /home/Downloads . Tried moving the already zipped file but i get an error no such file exits .

vivek@vivek-HP-15-Notebook-PC:/usr/local$ sudo tar xzf hadoop-2.7.1.tar.gz
[sudo] password for vivek: tar (child): hadoop-2.7.1.tar.gz:
Cannot open: No such file or directory tar (child):
Error is not recoverable: exiting now tar:
Child returned status 2 tar:
Error is not recoverable: exiting now

howefield
October 6th, 2015, 10:44 AM
Try running the command from the Downloads folder instead of /usr/local/ (or successfully move the file to /usr/local/ first if that is where it needs to be).

cd ~/Downloads

sudo tar xzf hadoop-2.7.1.tar.gz

vivek26
October 6th, 2015, 10:54 AM
ok i did that but how do i know that file is extracted and moved to /usr/local/ ? because it needs to be there only . Moreover i wana ask how to open
$HOME/.bashrc file and edit it for a new user hduser ?

howefield
October 6th, 2015, 11:05 AM
ok i did that but how do i know that file is extracted and moved to /usr/local/ ? because it needs to be there only .]

To move the file to /usr/local/ do..

sudo cp ~/Downloads/hadoop-2.7.1.tar.gz /usr/local/

then run the extract command.

sudo tar xzf /usr/local/hadoop-2.7.1.tar.gz

Check the files present in the folder with...

ls -l /usr/local/

vivek26
October 6th, 2015, 11:24 AM
Thanks a lot sir , it wouldnt be possible without internet community for me to install hadoop .. Now am setting up the $HOME/.bashrc file and further steps , if i struck somewhere i will ask for your help .

vivek26
October 6th, 2015, 11:38 AM
"hadoop-env.sh" opened this file using gedit to edit/modify the java home variable but this file is empty ... What to do ? am using java 8 by oracle downloaded through ppa:webupd8team/java