PDA

View Full Version : UK Keyboard for Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

gmseed
October 5th, 2015, 07:40 PM
I recently upgraded our version of Ubuntu from 12 to 14 and the UK keyboard no longer works.

Does anyone know how to resolve this issue?

I've just tried one thing posted online about deleting ibus:

sudo apt-get remove ibus

and guess what? - it doesn't work. All this has done is remove several options from the system settings dialog!!!!

which I then had to reinstall again calling:

sudo apt-get install ibus

which has NOT restored the system settings to what it was.

So, if anyone knows the CORRECT way to assign a UK keyboard to a laptop then I'd be grateful.

Also, if you know how to restore the system settings to the "out of the box" settings, that would be appreciated too.

Thanks.

ajgreeny
October 5th, 2015, 10:30 PM
Search in the dash for "Text entry" and you will get to a window where you can choose your language input and add/remove what you need to.

grahammechanical
October 6th, 2015, 12:20 AM
I do not understand by "no longer works." Is the UK keyboard layout present? Was this upgrade from 12.04 to 14.04 a fesh install?

There should be a an icon inn the top panel. A new install with have English (US) as the default keyboard layout. The language icon in the top panel has a menu and Text Entry Settings will load a dialog that will let us add an keyboard layout under Input source to use. There will be a long list of languages/keyboard layouts. We click the plus ( + ) sign. Once we have added the keyboard language layout of our choice we can remove the one we do not want by selecting it and click the minus ( - ) sign.

Another way to do this is from System Settings>Text Entry.

Regards.

gmseed
October 6th, 2015, 07:55 PM
"ajgreeny" - do you have set of steps to make my keyboard a UK keyboard?

"grahammechanical":

"I do not understand by "no longer works." Is the UK keyboard layout present? Was this upgrade from 12.04 to 14.04 a fesh install?" --> Yes it was a fresh install from 12.04 to 14.04. During setup I specified that I am based in the UK but the keyboard post installation is non-UK.

"There should be a an icon inn the top panel." --> Do you mean "System Settings..."? If this is what you are referring to then your description does not agree with what I see.

Honestly, I have tried several different things to enable the UK keyboard none of which work.

So, if anyone can provide a detailed set of steps that would be gratefully appreciated.

This incredibly basic and hard to believe but a UK user has a non-UK keyboard straight after installation!!

plucky
October 7th, 2015, 10:36 AM
Check you Language Settings

System Setting > Language Support

Does it have English (United Kingdom)?

Keyboard & Text Entry screen shots attached.

Good Luck