PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Ubuntu minimal: no internet connection

ric_Poirier
October 2nd, 2015, 02:47 PM
Hi everyone,

I installed ubuntu 14.04 32-bit using a minimal iso, in cli mode. During the installation, I was able to successfully connect to my Wifi and download the necessary packages. After the installation, I plugged my computer with an tested Ethernet cable but was not able to connect to the Internet (a ping at www.google.com was not recognized). So right now, I am unable to install anything or update/upgrade anything.

I ran ifconfig, and wlan0 and eth0 showed up, but there was no activity.

Is this normal behaviour? How could I connect?

Thanks,

Éric

sudodus
October 2nd, 2015, 03:06 PM
I have installed Lubuntu and Xubuntu Core using the Ubuntu mini.iso. I had a wired connection (ethernet) during the installation, and it worked without problems also after rebooting. There are instructions about the network at this link

MinimalInstall#Unmanaged_Wired_Network (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/Documentation/MinimalInstall#Unmanaged_Wired_Network)

Did you install a custom set of packages, different from what is available via the desktop iso files? Are you running a graphical desktop in the final installed system, or is it running in text mode?

ric_Poirier
October 2nd, 2015, 09:28 PM
Hello sudodus,

Thanks for your answer! I am not running, any graphical desktop on my final install, only text mode. Furthermore, I did not install anything custom, I simply followed the installer after having chosen "Command Line Install" from the initial menu.

The computer I am running this on is an old Lenovo. I will pretty much only edit text files on it.

sudodus
October 2nd, 2015, 09:42 PM
In that case I suggest that you re-install your system, this time connected via wire (ethernet) during the installation. Then the wired internet connection should continue to work after reboot. If you wish, you can also follow the instructions at the link in post #2, but it is probably not necessary.

At this early stage it is probably easier to re-install than to learn how to repair the internet connection.

ric_Poirier
October 2nd, 2015, 09:47 PM
sudodus,

Thanks, I will try this out and le you know,

Regards

ric_Poirier
October 2nd, 2015, 10:59 PM
Worked, problem solved,

Thanks sudodus!!

sudodus
October 3rd, 2015, 06:02 AM
I'm glad it works for you, and thanks for sharing the solution :KS