PDA

View Full Version : Robots. Which language?

Spae
October 1st, 2015, 01:08 PM
A couple of years ago I introduced myself to programming with a bit of python. I successfully learned the basics and did some challenges but became bored quickly as I had nothing practical to use it for.

Lately I've been thinking that I'd like to get into small hobby robots.

So I was wonder which language is best? Which language has the most tools and support available when it comes to making robots?

Is there going to be compatibility problems with controllers (eg arduino) and languages? Maybe there are open source tools available for some controllers but not others, some languages and not others?

I don't know what the best way to start is? Whether I should use python or learn C? I was about to learn C but then I read you can program robots in python too. Or maybe there are dedicated robot languages.

Thanks

brian-mccumber
October 1st, 2015, 03:14 PM
I think it will depend on what kind of robotic system you choose to use. Some robotic frameworks will have their own versions of programming languages, some will use c, c++, assembly.
I think it's safe to say that c would probably be used more than python for robotics. I am thinking if you could use python that it would probably be a c type header for this anyway.

I have a friend in Australia who likes to use Arduino boards to make small robots that do specific things and I have helped him with his code before and it was written in c++. So if you were planning on using Arduino boards to make your robots then the language for that would be c++. But like I said before some robotic kits, for lack of a better word, will have their own languages. Here is a link to a wiki category that lists a group of programming languages used by some of the popular robotic kits.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Robot_programming_languages