PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Windows will be third place by 2017

Welly Wu
September 30th, 2015, 11:03 PM
1. http://www.computerworld.com/article/2987968/microsoft-windows/windows-slips-to-third-place-on-gartners-latest-device-forecast.html?utm_content=buffer633d6&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Discuss.

v3.xx
September 30th, 2015, 11:06 PM
Yes, I'm discussed too.

mystics
September 30th, 2015, 11:31 PM
Mostly meaningless. They're merging iOS and Mac OS X together as one operating system, and I'm pretty sure we all know that OS X would not be touching Windows unless we give it a boost with iOS numbers. Furthermore, the #1 is Android, which is a predominantly mobile OS. Considering the whole discussion about Windows dominance centers on the desktop (Windows being insignificant elsewhere), this article is more of a "Yep, mobile OSs are important" article and less of a "You can now hold your breathe for the demise of Windows!" article.

Welly Wu
October 1st, 2015, 12:17 AM
I disagree with some of the comments that you made. Did Apple tell you that OS X and iOS are merging together because CEO Tim Cook vehemently denies this allegation and he says that both are distinct operating systems. Your interpretation that mobile OSes ruling the day is also not the dominant focus of the article that I shared either. You are entitled to your own opinions, but I shared this article to point out that it might be until 2017 when Microsoft Corporation sees a rush of corporate customers upgrading to Windows 10 in their enterprises as stated within this article.

QIII
October 1st, 2015, 12:43 AM
The author of the article combined them, making his analysis meaningless.

mystics
October 1st, 2015, 12:49 AM
I never said OS X and iOS were becoming one. That's what the article did to place Windows at #3. If you look at the graph at the top, it labels iOS and OS X as one and assigns them a single bar on the graph and even addresses this merge in the article. It also includes Android in the article at #1, which itself still operates in a different market than where Windows dominates. I was addressing the fact that the ranking was totally meaningless in the way we generally think of ranking Windows, as I thought the ranking is what we were supposed to be discussing.

TokyoGhost
October 1st, 2015, 08:25 AM
Last thing Microsoft done right for Windows fans is Windows 7. Windows 10 and specially 8 are really bad and not liked by many. Hopefully Linux will gain on this disadvantage.

buzzingrobot
October 1st, 2015, 01:44 PM
It's the tech media that insists on always framing this as some kind of race: Anyone not in first place is a total loser.

Businesses focus on revenue and profit. Popularity is one component of that, but only one. Apple has always focused on the money, not on market share. I'm sure Microsoft would trade, say, 50% more cash stashed in its offshore reserves and no Windows mobile market boost over a 50% boost in Windows mobile market share *and* no cash boost.

grahammechanical
October 1st, 2015, 02:23 PM
That will also be true in regards to the market share of Ubuntu phones. What is important as regards Ubuntu phones is that the OEMs recover their investment costs and make profit on the investment. That will give them an incentive to bring out other Ubuntu phone models. The number of Ubuntu phone units sold or in use is less revelant than the OEMs getting their money back and a bit/lot more on the side. And it will do Canonical quite a bit of good as well.

Dragonbite
October 1st, 2015, 04:48 PM
The article states
(Gartner considers iOS and OS X, if not one operating system, then allied because of their shared origin. Similarly, Gartner deems Windows on the desktop and Windows on mobile as one OS for its forecast purposes, a practice that makes much more sense in the Windows 10 world, where differences are significantly less than earlier editions, and frankly, much less than between iOS and OS X.)

If Microsoft holds onto its desktop position (which Windows 10 may help with that) and can grow its mobile position then it would be #1. While it doesn't look very rosy now, it is not an impossibility either.

MartyBuntu
October 1st, 2015, 07:59 PM
The author of the article combined them, making his analysis meaningless.

Yeah but he succeeded in being sensational.

forrestcupp
October 3rd, 2015, 12:38 AM
Last thing Microsoft done right for Windows fans is Windows 7. Windows 10 and specially 8 are really bad and not liked by many. Hopefully Linux will gain on this disadvantage.

In my opinion, Windows 10 is a pretty huge step up from Windows 8.

craig10x
October 3rd, 2015, 02:31 PM
I agree...windows 10 is the first windows i have actually liked a LOT...in fact, i am running it now and i think it is awesome :D

d-cosner
October 3rd, 2015, 04:34 PM
Windows 10 is much better than Windows 8. My laptop came with Windows 8 and I quickly got rid of it! Windows 10 is much easier to navigate and better on resources. I don't think Windows will drop to number 3 in 2017 though. More speciality software runs on Windows that businesses rely on and that's not going to change any time soon.

Microsoft has been around 10 years before Linux even began and nothing will ever change that. Just take a tour of almost any manufacturing facility and you will see Windows running nearly every piece of machinery. Like it or not businesses are not going to move away from something that is getting the job done or spend money to have new software written. The last factory I worked for still had machinery that used DOS 6 and there was absolutely nothing to gain from updating theses machines.

Linux has become better and better over the years and it's at a point where it is great for home use. No distribution that I can think of has ever tried to displace Windows though, instead they provide you with a choice. New ideas are driving Linux use, Android is a great example and is very popular! I can't see Microsoft taking away any market share with cell phones, Android dominates the market because they saw the market potential and quickly acted on it.

Microsoft saw the same thing with the desktop years ago and they quickly acted on it and created something the pubic saw as practical and affordable. I do see more people switching to Linux thanks to Ubuntu and Linux Mint but the majority of users will stick with what their computer came with. The bottom line is that Linux, Windows and Apple all have their place and it really does not matter what your preference is as long as you are happy and the platform does what you need it to do.

Erik1984
October 3rd, 2015, 09:13 PM
I agree...windows 10 is the first windows i have actually liked a LOT...in fact, i am running it now and i think it is awesome :D

That is maybe a bit too much :P To each his own but I don't think Windows 10 is that special. 10 is certainly a fine OS from a UI perspective (leaving out the privacy stuff) but to me it's just a little improvement compared to 8.1 Mainly UI tweaks.

craig10x
October 3rd, 2015, 09:43 PM
I agree about the privacy stuff, Erik...though that is easy to take care of :D

Also, i like the new quality control with the updates where it goes through microsoft testing then to insiders "fast ring" then insiders "slow ring" then FINALLY to the average user....by then the updates are very smooth and reliable, so i don't mind the auto updating at all...and it updates much faster too when you get a big update which only seems to happen every couple of weeks...on a daily basis, you only get windows defender updates...

Also defender i learned has become an excellent virus protector...one day i got a major attack trojan on one particular website and defender "kicked it's butt", cleaned it and then i easily disposed of it!
My confidence in the scanner went up 1000 percent!

Also the UI is much more modern then old windows, i like the new start menu with the tiles (i put my favorites on as tiles for easy and quick launching) and the general feel is kind of fun and very nice...i didn't think i would, but i like that new "flat look"...
It does use more ram then my ubuntu 15.04 but i guess you can't have everything ;)

forrestcupp
October 3rd, 2015, 10:30 PM
That is maybe a bit too much :P To each his own but I don't think Windows 10 is that special. 10 is certainly a fine OS from a UI perspective (leaving out the privacy stuff) but to me it's just a little improvement compared to 8.1 Mainly UI tweaks.

I disagree about that. The Desktop in Win8.1 felt like a hacked-in Frankenstein. Windows 10 doesn't feel hacked; it feels like it was created for the Desktop. I'm not saying it's spectacular, just that it's a huge step up after dealing with Win8. I actually like the interface for Windows 7 more. All of these "modern" flat colors are just atrocious. I have to use Windows for some specialty software. But the only reason I'm sticking with Win10 over Win7 is because it's pretty much the future, with DX12 and gaming. I really wish Linux could get mainstream software support.

yoshii
October 5th, 2015, 06:11 AM
I don't know why there are so many Microsoft Windows fans on this site. I see more of them in this forum than on other forums that I go to. Odd for a Linux forum. Really odd.

QIII
October 5th, 2015, 06:22 AM
Why?

Is there a part of the Linux User's Contract that I have missed? Am I in violation of some fine print because I also use Windows?

matt_symes
October 5th, 2015, 07:13 AM
I don't know why there are so many Microsoft Windows fans on this site. I see more of them in this forum than on other forums that I go to. Odd for a Linux forum. Really odd.

You'll find that a number of people on these forums have moved beyond childish fanboyism and will evaluate a technology based on its merits.

After all, if one needed a screwdriver to get a job done, one would not try to use a hacksaw.

mikodo
October 5th, 2015, 07:35 AM
Why is having people talking about Windows on UF a concern for you? The site caters to all OS's in one form or another. I'm glad that that is the case. And, I use nothing but Linux, and have only Xubuntu installed.

Benefits of this include, having a rich culture of knowledgeable people contributing. Of course, it only offers minimal support for some OS's but, the forum being open to talking about other OS's fosters, having the best people with computer experience being comfortable participating. Not being open to all is, something I have seen on too many Linux forums with elitist attitudes and because of that, don't provide anywhere near the levels of support for newbie Linux users to extremely advanced topics and use case scenarios that, often overlaps with other OS's, that we regularly see in UF.

I hope it remains this way.

Bucky Ball
October 5th, 2015, 08:00 AM
You'll find that a number of people on these forums have moved beyond childish fanboyism and will evaluate a technology based on its merits.

^^^
This. Couldn't have said it better ... and we actively support that move! Poo-pooing of other OSs seems to be a throwback to Windows, Mac and Linux users in the 'olden days' in the first place when one had to be a supporter of this or that OS. Times have changed. :D

We don't support OS hating or bashing in threads and posts here, and that applies to any OS, Win or otherwise. This is supported by this from the CoC:

Attacks and derogatory terms of any kind are not welcome. This includes references to any operating systems or the companies that produce them.

If I wish to use the Sibelius music notation software I am not willing to jump through hoops to try and get it working in Wine, even though, apparently, it does. I'll just use the OS it was designed for: Windows. I'd rather use Sibelius in Ubuntu, not the kludge that is Wine, but it doesn't run natively, so there you go. Nothing to do with Windows in the end, anyhow. Better to email the creators of Sibelius and enquire about plans for porting, which is what I encourage all users to do if their favourite software is not ported to Linux. It generally has nothing to do with Windows or Ubuntu.

forrestcupp
October 5th, 2015, 12:52 PM

I'm no Windows fan. I just have to use it because of specialized software that will not work in Linux. If Linux had native mainstream software support, I would be using it solo in a second. Since it doesn't, I have to make the best of what I have, which happens to be Windows 10 at the moment.

craig10x
October 5th, 2015, 02:32 PM
Exactly...just to give one example...there is a program i like to use that actually has a native linux version (Google Earth) oh, yes it worked in my ubuntu 15.04 but the images are pixelated...On windows 10, it's perfect...so the program just works better on windows...And there are programs that just don't work well on linux and i don't like using wine at all...

Also, as i mentioned earlier, i just happen to have taken a liking to windows 10 and actually enjoy using it (which is something i couldn't say about the earlier versions, though i thought windows 7 was ok)...But 10 just has a different feel about it that i seem to enjoy...And this is a discussion session in the forum, so what is the big deal about discussing it? ;)

SeijiSensei
October 5th, 2015, 02:37 PM
Most of us realize that people use applications, not operating systems. Right now I'm using Windows 7 as the base OS and Kubuntu in a VirtualBox. On other machines I have Kubuntu as the base OS and Win7 in a VirtualBox. On servers I would never use anything but Linux.

More importantly, though, I'm using Firefox. The fact that it's running on top of Windows is irrelevant. By the end of next year some two billion people will be using Android or iOS. Do you think they care about which of those they are using, or that they care that they can read their mail and listen to their music?

pfeiffep
October 5th, 2015, 03:32 PM
Comparing different operating systems and combining into number of devices shipped is meaningless to me.
I believe the salient point is the ease of use of Apple's devices. I use Windows, Ubuntu & an iPhone, My wife uses an iPhone & a Macbook. The seamless operation of her devices is amazing.

Dragonbite
October 5th, 2015, 05:38 PM

I also find people here to have better, more informative answers to ALL of my questions (Like "what is the meaning of life?") so if I could find a Windows forum as informed, friendly and helpful as Linux forums I would be able to ask my questions there!

But I'm still looking ....

mystics
October 5th, 2015, 05:59 PM
By the end of next year some two billion people will be using Android or iOS. Do you think they care about which of those they are using, or that they care that they can read their mail and listen to their music?

Maybe it is just me, but I have seen some seriously heated iOS vs. Android discussions. A few of my friends even have a mutual agreement to never talk about the subject again (though, honestly, a lot of those deal more with Pro-Apple vs. Anti-Apple).

But for the most part, I agree. I know some people like getting involved in the iOS vs. Android debate, but even among a lot of those people, I tend very few ever actually taking advantage of one's exclusive features. The number of "Android is more open" comments I've seen from people that never take advantage of that openness is staggering. In the end, they still just want something that looks good and does what they want it to. Any advantage the OS itself may have is meaningless.

Comparing different operating systems and combining into number of devices shipped is meaningless to me.
I believe the salient point is the ease of use of Apple's devices. I use Windows, Ubuntu & an iPhone, My wife uses an iPhone & a Macbook. The seamless operation of her devices is amazing.

There might be a few ways that iOS and Mac integrate that I'm not aware about, but you can actually get good integration with Android on any computer that can run Chrome or Chromium. The Chrome web store offers a lot of apps and extensions like Pushbullet, MySMS, and Google Play Store that can allow you to do a lot of Android-related tasks from the computer like texting, giving and sending links and files, receiving notifications, and installing applications on your phone. Granted, all of this takes a lot more effort than iOS/Mac integration (in that you actually have to search for the apps themselves), but it is doable.

forrestcupp
October 5th, 2015, 08:30 PM
I also find people here to have better, more informative answers to ALL of my questions (Like "what is the meaning of life?") so if I could find a Windows forum as informed, friendly and helpful as Linux forums I would be able to ask my questions there!

But I'm still looking ....

They need to bring back the OMG Pink Ponies section here. :D

mystics
October 5th, 2015, 09:56 PM
They need to bring back the OMG Pink Ponies section here. :D

I can't comment on that section, but I will say that we do have pink ponies at least here in Xubuntu:

Of course, they're not exactly the most well behaved. Just look at how much screen space it takes up! How am I supposed to get work done with that pony and its parties!?!

SeijiSensei
October 5th, 2015, 11:10 PM
Maybe it is just me, but I have seen some seriously heated iOS vs. Android discussions.
I'm talking about people who have no interest in IT like, perhaps, 90% or more all users.