PDA

View Full Version : [mythbuntu] update reboot failure

Callmestupid
September 30th, 2015, 04:38 PM
I had an update msg this AM and preformed from the msg. I got to computer needs to reboot. I clicked on the reboot now button. on exit I clicked on the reboot and not the quit button. When computer rebooted first 5 times I only got a white blinking cursor which did not respond to any keystrokes. 6th time It started to reboot, it got to Auto-detect USB mass storage devices and returned 00 USB mass storage devices found and configured. At this point computer locks up. I have tried rebooting to set-up but does not respond, possibly the USB keyboard not located but does not go to set-up. Computer is and has been locked were it froze last time now for 30 minutes. I have a self built computer MSI K9N SLI motherboard with an AMD Phenom (tm) 9500 quad-core 64 bit CPU speed 2.2 GHz. There is 8 GB DDR2 800 (unganged mode) additional info as requested. Any suggestions? Computer also has Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64 bit and Mythbuntu as operating stystem, was booting to the Mythbuntu before reboot.

Bashing-om
September 30th, 2015, 07:46 PM
Callmestupid; Hello;

Perhaps the graphic's driver (proprietary) got broke in the update ?
Booting with the "nomodeset" boot parameter
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132
has what effect ?

If you boot with this boot parameter, one could then consider (RE-)installing the proprietary driver against the new kernel build.

maybe yes

Callmestupid
October 1st, 2015, 02:09 AM
Computer just does a black screen won't even load the motherboard screen. I have also tried to boot to a live CD in both Ubuntu 14.04 and Puppy Linux. Neither would start.

did not get to try the above.

Callmestupid

Bashing-om
October 1st, 2015, 02:28 AM
Callmestupid; Ohweee, ohweee ...

This situation

won't even load the motherboard screen.

Is long before the operating system is even a thought in bios' mind.

Problems powering up .. maybe you can clear out CMOS and revert bios to defaults.
Is this a laptop or desktop box - provided info indicates a desktop ?

Might pull the power cord, depress the power switch for a few seconds, pull the battery from the main board for a few seconds, replace the battery ( if fairly new with that original battery) .. then jumper the CMOS pins to revert bios to default.

Power back up and ->
What does bios say about the voltage levels ?
Fans spin up, disk drives spin up ... DVD drive work now ?

What happens now when attempting to boot the operating system ?

ouch