PDA

View Full Version : Change the vertical dock bar to horizontal?

ra7411
September 25th, 2015, 12:43 AM
Is there any way of changing the vertical dock bar to horizontal without bugging up the o/s?

Thanks

yetimon_64
September 25th, 2015, 01:43 AM
Assuming you mean the Unity launcher, No.

Once upon a time in about 2011 you used to be able to with a PPA, sadly no longer possible.
It is however possible to autohide it and disable any hot corner settings that show it then install a dock application like docky or even the gnome-panel package as a substitute to run on the bottom of the screen. Edit: just checked ccsm, can't see nowadays where the edges for the autohide function are turned off. May not be possible by the looks of it, though the autohide is available still.

Another option is to install another DE, which sets out the desktop differently, beside the standard Unity interface and log into it from the lightdm greeter screen (use the "power cog" icon at the side of the password input box). If you switch to another DE the lightdm greeter remembers it and will only change back to Unity if you do the same procedure with the lightdm greeter.

uninvolved
September 27th, 2015, 11:29 AM
To add to the above post, that's one of the reasons I use LXDE frequently. (I change distros often.) It enables me to easily move and configure panels. I'll give you an example...

http://s27.postimg.org/6gm1ewj5f/desktop.jpg

Note that the top panel (menu bar, whatever) doesn't appear until I mouse over the top. I've tweaked a bit since then but that's the gist of it still. LUbuntu is still based on Ubuntu and shares much of the same source and uses the same repositories.