PDA

View Full Version : Installing Kubuntu from Windows 10

Daniel_OC
September 23rd, 2015, 08:44 PM
Hello guys, I realised my USB drive doesn't work anymore and I got the Live CD I downloaded from the website.

Unfortunately I can't install it without it so I was wondering if it is possible to install it from Windows 10. I read about wubi but everytime I use it the thing will just say I don't have permissions or freeze (or redownload de ISO which I already have since I open it from inside the directory).

Is there any way I can do this?

I have the partition and everything ready!

grahammechanical
September 23rd, 2015, 09:01 PM
Wubi is not longer being developed. It was not compatible with Windows 8. So, I doubt if it is compatible with Windows 10. The position of the fourm on wubi is staed here

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2229766

Regards.

yancek
September 24th, 2015, 02:14 AM
Unfortunately I can't install it without it so I was wondering if it is possible to install it from Windows 10.

Simple answer, no. The wubi method no longer developed/supported doesn't work on iwndows 8 or later as pointed out above and a default windows install isn't even able to read a Linux filesystem much less write to it. Years ago, there was a somewhat convoluted method using xp wherein you copied certain parts of the partition with boot code to a file in windows and put it in a specified location and then manually configured a boot entry with the boot file. I imagine something similar could be done with newer windows but you would need a lot of knowledge on the windows boot process. On the other hand, windows may have changed the boot process so that something like this won't work.