PDA

View Full Version : OMG!!! finally! Linux preloaded Thinkpads!

Engnome
August 4th, 2006, 09:55 PM
Omg finally! it happened! take that M$!

http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS7778908329.html

Breakthrougth indeed! couldn't agree more.

I sincerely hope this isn't a hoax or something.

ps. hope the spam filter doesn't stop this with all the !!! and CAPS, couldn't restrain myself :D

djsroknrol
August 4th, 2006, 10:05 PM
It is good news..Things like this and the billboard that went up in Redwood city will help make Linux mainstream...

SishGupta
August 4th, 2006, 10:12 PM
holy **** maybe we can expect some actual drivers for some of our thinkpad components.

Heres to hoping for a fingerprint scanner driver.

teet
August 4th, 2006, 10:28 PM
The T60p isn't just any laptop. It boasts a high-end, 2GHz Intel Core Duo processor T2500, with a minimum of 512MB of RAM, which can be pushed up to 2GB of memory. For graphics, it uses an ATI FireGL V5200 with 256MB of RAM.

Are they stupid? No...seriously? ATI?

-teet

djsroknrol
August 4th, 2006, 10:53 PM
Granted teet, people have had problems with ATI cards, but AMD isn't merging with ATI for nothing...I think a lot of good will come out of it for us *nix users..

IYY
August 5th, 2006, 02:20 AM
Great news. Thinkpads are excellent, stable machines, worthy of Linux.

cantormath
August 5th, 2006, 02:22 AM
Omg finally! it happened! take that M$!

http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS7778908329.html

Breakthrougth indeed! couldn't agree more.

I sincerely hope this isn't a hoax or something.

ps. hope the spam filter doesn't stop this with all the !!! and CAPS, couldn't restrain myself :D

IBM has support linux on there laptops for a while.mac address filtering on

Here are some more supported laptops.
http://lxer.com/module/forums/t/23168/

mips
August 5th, 2006, 02:26 AM
Granted teet, people have had problems with ATI cards, but AMD isn't merging with ATI for nothing...I think a lot of good will come out of it for us *nix users..

Lenovo uses Intel chips. Hopefully the merger between AMD&ATI will see lenovo going for nVidia.

djsroknrol
August 5th, 2006, 02:56 AM
Lenovo uses Intel chips. Hopefully the merger between AMD&ATI will see lenovo going for nVidia.

You probably right mips...But I've never had a real bad problem with ATI in years..maybe dumb luck?

Compucore
August 5th, 2006, 03:16 AM
If that is true. Will that mean with the older thinkpads like my Iseries will get modem drivers as well??? Even though its a winmodem?? I want that blooming 56 modem to work galdarnit!!!

Compucore

mips
August 5th, 2006, 02:48 PM
If that is true. Will that mean with the older thinkpads like my Iseries will get modem drivers as well??? Even though its a winmodem?? I want that blooming 56 modem to work galdarnit!!!

Compucore

Probably not seeing the chipset vendor owns the right to the driver code. Some winmodems do work though, just depends on what you have got.

Spif
August 5th, 2006, 04:39 PM
OMG... Great news!

Perfect timing too. I looking to buy a new latop lately, now I know which one I'll buy!

mips
August 5th, 2006, 04:47 PM
http://www.pc.ibm.com/europe/thinkpad/workstation/en/tseries.html?za&cc=zaeurope&cc=europe

You got to love this part, "Only Novell Suse Linux Enterprise Desktop 10 (http://www.novell.com/linux/preview.html) is supported ."

GameManK
August 5th, 2006, 05:27 PM
OMG... Great news!

Perfect timing too. I looking to buy a new latop lately, now I know which one I'll buy!

Same here :D

..."I'm dual booting on my laptop." "It came with windows? You boot into it to play games?" "Nah, it came with SUSE and I installed Kubuntu :cool: "

Spif
August 5th, 2006, 05:31 PM
I'm downloading SLED 10 now, just to try it out. If I like it, I'm most certainly buying that laptop.

Seriously, this is like the best thing ever since sex and Planescape: Torment!

GameManK
August 5th, 2006, 05:38 PM
Presumably, this is Novell's enterprise version? so do lenovo actually pay Novell for the software?

MetalMusicAddict
August 5th, 2006, 05:41 PM

I would have really like to have seen AMD go with nVidia though. Its been my combo of choice for awhile now. I like all the green. :)

Seriously though, maybe this will up the quality of ATI's drivers.

mips
August 5th, 2006, 05:49 PM
I would have really like to have seen AMD go with nVidia though. Its been my combo of choice for awhile now. I like all the green. :)

Seriously though, maybe this will up the quality of ATI's drivers.

I agree with that but if they can improve on the linux drivers for ati then i'm all for it.

prizrak
August 6th, 2006, 02:00 AM
If they gonna preload SLED on them they will do something about the drivers that is for sure.

GameManK
August 6th, 2006, 02:44 AM
I don't see anything about it on the US site :( at least not yet.

Spif
August 29th, 2006, 03:42 PM
When will you be able to buy a ThinkPad with SLED 10?

Been looking around on Lenevo's site and searching on Google, but haven't found anything yet.

jdong
August 29th, 2006, 03:56 PM
As far as the ATI card, don't sweat it. I bought my laptop with an ATI mobility radeon x1400, and I've been satisfied with ATI drivers. On laptops, ATI drivers actually are better than NVidia's because ATI drivers support GPU Frequency scaling, which gives me at least another 30 minutes of battery life compared to full speed. It runs Xgl, though I really don't use Xgl.

I think ATI's paying a bit more attention to their Linux users recently.

prizrak
August 29th, 2006, 04:28 PM
When will you be able to buy a ThinkPad with SLED 10?

Been looking around on Lenevo's site and searching on Google, but haven't found anything yet.

Never, they do not preload SLED 10 on them. They merely support it. So you get all the drivers and the special software, you might be able to get it preloaded if you purchase through distributors such as CDW but it's only for that one ThinkPad. As Lenovo put it, "It's not for Joe Homeuser or even Joe Corporateuser", it's a powerful machine for engineers.

zachtib
August 29th, 2006, 08:47 PM
Never, they do not preload SLED 10 on them. They merely support it. So you get all the drivers and the special software, you might be able to get it preloaded if you purchase through distributors such as CDW but it's only for that one ThinkPad. As Lenovo put it, "It's not for Joe Homeuser or even Joe Corporateuser", it's a powerful machine for engineers.

You have to call in the order:

Available Linux compatible models (to order, call 866-96-THINK):

• 2007-8ZU with 14" SXGA+
• 2007-9ZU with 15" UXGA+IPS

This newest T60p model is now undergoing ISV-certification for many mission-critical design applications - putting ThinkPad on its first true path toward a mobile engineering environment.

http://www.pc.ibm.com/us/notebooks/thinkpad/t-series/workstation.html

Sam
August 29th, 2006, 08:55 PM
I think ATI's paying a bit more attention to their Linux users recently.

I really hope you're right !