PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] unable to update

Jim_Dodds
September 16th, 2015, 05:52 PM
I tried installing monolight and now somehow I messed up update manager. when I do sudo apt-get update it says the list of sources could not be read. executing is not known on line 1 in source list /etc/apt/sources.lists.d/mono-xamarin.list

How do I fix this issue????

Bucky Ball
September 16th, 2015, 05:59 PM
You kill the monolight PPA you installed attempting to install monolight.

Open 'Software and Updates'> Other Software tab. Look for anything with 'monolight' in it or related to 'mono' and untick or remove it.

Jim_Dodds
September 16th, 2015, 06:12 PM
There is nothing in there with monolight??

deadflowr
September 16th, 2015, 06:15 PM
Run the following command and Post the output

cat /etc/apt/sources.lists.d/mono-xamarin.list
so we can see what the line actually says.

Bucky Ball
September 16th, 2015, 06:15 PM
As deadflowr says. And also, how did you install it? Or try?

Jim_Dodds
September 16th, 2015, 06:21 PM
There is nothing in there with monolight??

I followed the instructions on the monolight page I got as far as installing the signature? and failed at the rest

sudo apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys 3FA7E0328081BFF6A14DA29AA6A19B38D3D831EFecho "deb http://download.mono-project.com/repo/debian wheezy main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mono-xamarin.list[COLOR=#0086B3]
sudo apt-get update

I run the code and it says no such file or directory

deadflowr
September 16th, 2015, 06:33 PM
Odd.
Since that's the file you posted as having an error.

is there anything listed, maybe similar to the file name you posted, if you run

ls /etc/apt/sources.list.d/
?

Edit: Oh, you added an 's' to list.
Try rerunning the cat command but remove the s from lists, so it only says list.

Jim_Dodds
September 16th, 2015, 06:53 PM
executing is not known on line 1 in source list
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/mono-xamarin.list
the list of sources could not be read
google-chrome.list
google-chrome.list.save
mono-xamarin.list
mono-xamarin.list.save
pipelight-stable-trusty.list
pipelight-stable-trusty.list.save
precise.list.save
web8team-java-trusty.list
web8team-java-trusty.list.save

I unchecked monolight and nothing

matt_symes
September 16th, 2015, 07:26 PM
Hi

From the terminal type this command

sudo rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/"*source*"

Check then double check the command is exactly the same as mine before hitting enter.

Then type
sudo apt-get update

Post back any errors after.

Edit: please post the full text from the terminal using code tags.

Kind regards

Jim_Dodds
September 16th, 2015, 08:57 PM
cannot remove '/etc/apt/sources.lists.d*source*': No is what happens after I run the command

matt_symes
September 16th, 2015, 09:02 PM
Hi

That command is not the same command I typed for you.

You may find it easier to copy and paste the command I typed and paste it into the terminal window so you don't make any typos.

Kind regards

Jim_Dodds
September 16th, 2015, 09:12 PM
I copied letter per letter same response? How do I copy and paste to Xterm?

howefield
September 16th, 2015, 09:18 PM
I copied letter per letter same response? How do I copy and paste to Xterm?

Copy from here (highlight then Ctrl + c) then use the Shift + Insert keys to paste into Xterm.

Jim_Dodds
September 16th, 2015, 09:30 PM
I copied and pasted like you said and response.

Jim_Dodds
September 16th, 2015, 09:31 PM
No such file or directory

matt_symes
September 16th, 2015, 09:31 PM
Hi

There is also a typo in my command. Use this one instead

sudo rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*source*

Somehow *sources* got sorrunded by quotes. Not what I wanted.

I'm blaming this phone. Either that or I'm going senile young.

Kind regards

Jim_Dodds
September 16th, 2015, 09:46 PM
sudo rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*source* same response no such file or directory?

matt_symes
September 16th, 2015, 09:56 PM
Hi

We're not having much luck at the moment :/

Let's have a look at all the files.

grep -n "^[^#]" /etc/apt/sources.list{,.d/*}

Please please please copy the output from the terminal. Show me what it is and don't tell me what it is. I need to see the terminal output.

Please use code tags like this

text from terminal

To get output like this

text from terminal

Kind regards

Jim_Dodds
September 16th, 2015, 10:04 PM
how do I copy from the teminal Xterm?

Jim_Dodds
September 16th, 2015, 10:09 PM
It basically shows me everything that is in othersoftware

Jim_Dodds
September 16th, 2015, 10:19 PM
what is the easiest way for me to reinstall ubuntu and put wily on here. I'm runnning Chrobuntu

matt_symes
September 16th, 2015, 10:19 PM
Hi

If you are not prepared to follow the instructions I need to be able to help you then I cannot help you.

So far you have posted an error for files that do not seem to be on your system.

I cannot see what you are seeing and you do not seem prepared to help me see what you are seeing.

Take a look at some of the other threads on the forum and look at the posting styles and the information exchange. That'll help you know how and what to post to get the best help.

I'm afk for an hour now.

Kind regards

Bucky Ball
September 17th, 2015, 06:32 AM
DO NOT install Wily. It is not even released yet and you are having a heap of trouble getting anything fixed on a stable release. :)

To copy from the terminal, control+shift+c.

We can't help much until you can start getting the whole output code up here for us to look at.

matt_symes
September 17th, 2015, 11:51 AM
Hi

If you are using xterm then you need a slightly different way to copy text from the terminal.

Highlight the text to copy in the terminal. This will copy it into the primary buffer automatically.
To paste it into your post, position the cursor into the text area of the post at the point where you want the text to appear and click both the left and right mouse buttons at the same time. This will paste the text.

For most other terminals, you'll want to use BuckyBall's solid steps in the previous post.

Xterm is an oddball terminal. I recommend not using it unless you have to.

Kind regards

Jim_Dodds
September 17th, 2015, 02:43 PM
To copy from the terminal, control+shift+c. Highlight the text to copy in the terminal. This will copy it into the primary buffer automatically.
To paste it into your post, position the cursor into the text area of the post at the point where you want the text to appear and click both the left and right mouse buttons at the same time. This will paste the text. None of these ways for me to copy and paste from the terminal are working I can copy and paste to the terminal but that is no help. I can't install any other terminal since I can't update right?? I tried atleast.

Sweet_Baby_Jamie
September 17th, 2015, 05:10 PM
I can't install any other terminal since I can't update right??

Correct. You're stuck with what you have until you have. But I really suggest that you simply download a current supported version of Ubuntu! If you're not comfortable with making your own bootable DVD, then I suggest ordering a ready-made DVD of the latest Long Term Support release (from Canonical or OSDisk.com).

matt_symes
September 17th, 2015, 06:17 PM
Hi

To copy from the terminal, control+shift+c. Highlight the text to copy in the terminal. This will copy it into the primary buffer automatically.
To paste it into your post, position the cursor into the text area of the post at the point where you want the text to appear and click both the left and right mouse buttons at the same time. This will paste the text. None of these ways for me to copy and paste from the terminal are working I can copy and paste to the terminal but that is no help. I can't install any other terminal since I can't update right?? I tried atleast.

I use xterm regularly so i can't understand what is going wrong. Here's my copy and paste from xterm.

matthew-laptop:/home/matthew % echo $TERM
xterm
matthew-laptop:/home/matthew %

It's hard to help you if we cannot get the information. I don't think its' your fault; there could be many reasons. I'm sorry that, so far, this visit to the forums has not been useful to you.

We could redirect the output from xterm to a file and attach that to posts but to be honest i would just reinstall.

There are many people who can help you to that and i'm sure they jump in to help.

Kind regards

Jim_Dodds
September 18th, 2015, 01:20 AM
I just reinstalled. I want to thank everyone for their help.

Bucky Ball
September 18th, 2015, 06:17 AM
If all is good, please see the first link in my signature to mark as solved. Don't hesitate to post a new thread for any new issues. Good luck and enjoy the ride. :)

Sweet_Baby_Jamie
September 18th, 2015, 02:12 PM
If you installed a current version of Ubuntu your problem is SOLVED! If you re-installed the old unsupported one, you're starting from scratch again with the same old problem! What did you install? (Your post indicates that you "re-installed")

Jim_Dodds
September 18th, 2015, 05:11 PM
Trusty