PDA

View Full Version : Free One Day Offer of RAR 3.51 Key

Roman27
August 4th, 2006, 07:45 PM
If you've installed and use the non-free version of RAR from Eugene Roshal, then you'll be intersted (as I was) in participating in this one day offer to grab yourself a free license key for the software.

Here's where I found the deal:
http://www.slickdeals.net/#p7900

The order.htm file included with the Linux version says:
WinRAR, RAR for Unix, DOS and OS X now use the same registration key
format, so you can use the same key with current WinRAR and RAR versions
for all mentioned platforms. It is not guaranteed for WinRAR and RAR
versions that are not equal to version included to this distributive.
For example, versions prior to 2.60 used different keys.
So even though it says "WinRAR" on the form. This key should work for the Linux version as well.

To install it says:
If you use RAR/Unix and RAR for OS X, you should copy rarreg.key
to your home directory or to one of the following directories:
/etc, /usr/lib, /usr/local/lib, /usr/local/etc. You may rename it
to .rarreg.key or .rarregkey, if you wish, but rarreg.key is also valid.
I have not tested this to see if it works.

Enjoy!

_simon_
August 4th, 2006, 07:49 PM
You don't even need this to get rar to work under Ubuntu.

Just download the normal free rar, extract it and copy the "rar" file into /usr/bin/ You can then extract rar files with the archiver!

Roman27
August 4th, 2006, 08:05 PM
There's a free rar? Where do I get that one? I've always installed the shareware version found in the Multiverse repositories with the package name of "rar".

pedja_portugalac
January 13th, 2008, 05:36 PM
There's a free rar? Where do I get that one? I've always installed the shareware version found in the Multiverse repositories with the package name of "rar".
Free version of RAR is just unpacker, coming with ubuntu restricted packages, and you can't pack files with it. If you've installed full program which is a shareware, 40 days trial, you should buy a license key after that period or try to register it some other way. As an alternative you could install free RAR unpacker, within ubuntu restricted packages, and 7z (7-zip) open source program for packing and splitting. They say 7z is more powerful in compression then winrar and I personally use it for the long time. :)

7-Zip is open source software. Most of the source code is under the GNU LGPL license. The unRAR code is under a mixed license: GNU LGPL + unRAR restrictions. You can use 7-Zip on any computer, including a computer in a commercial organization. You don't need to register or pay for 7-Zip. But you can make a donation to support further development of 7-Zip. 7-Zip works in Windows 98/ME/NT/2000/XP/Vista. There is a port of the command line version to Linux/Unix.
http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/1942/7zcompareddu5.jpg
Compression ratio results are very dependent upon the data used for the tests. Usually, 7-Zip compresses to 7z format 30-70% better than to zip format. And 7-Zip compresses to zip format 2-10% better than most of other zip compatible programs.]