PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] My home folder no longer shows the "file systems" option

michael-piziak
September 12th, 2015, 03:29 AM
Ubuntu 12.04 lts user

My home folder on my HP desktop no longer shows on the left:

Computer

Home
Desktop
Documents
Downloads
Music
Pictures
Videos
File System
Trash
Network
Browse Net...

I have an HP laptop, that I just bought, an HP notebook 2000

and it has all those when I click home folder.

And I *do* have this selected on my desktop,
When I click "view" both
Main toolbar and icons is selected (has check mark next to them, just like on my hp notebook).

Please help!

Michael Piziak

deadflowr
September 12th, 2015, 05:10 AM
Does pressing F9 do anything?

michael-piziak
September 12th, 2015, 05:18 AM
I will try that - and i'll reply if it works or not in like less than five mins.

I thank you for your attempt to help me!

Michael Piziak

michael-piziak
September 12th, 2015, 05:23 AM
Yes, now we are getting somewhere!

I now get File systems, which is GREAT because I can now backup my files i need if I shall need to do a clean install!

thanks so much!

However,

I am getting a limited menu on left, unlike it should really be.

Se screenshot below:

also p.s. my system is no performing very slowly

michael-piziak
September 12th, 2015, 05:38 AM
Update:

I just had to do a a hold down ALT and PRINT SCREEN and type REISUB to make my system reboot.

It had came to a crawling stop, I received an email in Thunderbird mail and I attempted to click on the 1 email I recevied, and the entire system went GREY like it was having an issue.

When it came back from GREY it still would not let me click the email, in fact, i could not even move the mouse.

FYI: I have been one of the very rare people to get a documented virus on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, which if anyone is intersted, I can search and link you to that thread.

All is working fine now; accept, I still get the very limited list on the left when I click my home folder.

I think I should just use "file system" to back up my stuff I need, and do a fresh 100% reintall from the Ubuntu 12.04 lts USB thumb drive.

Unless someone can assist me to avoid doing that - but doing that is no big deal, as all my stuff is in home folders neatly organized,

and not that I can get to file system I can back up what I need and do the fresh re-install.

But this is VERY curious to me - I just wander if the virus I had before is still lurking beneath the surface, or I picked up another virus.

ClamTK straightened up everything except this little home folder issue where I get limited things on left side when clicking home folder.

Much THANX to Deadflowr to getting my "file system" option back so that I can back up and do a clean reinstall - which before I had NOTHING on left of Home Folder.

thanks again Deadflowr!

I'll be around for 3 or 4 more hours, so I will await any replies before I do a clean reinstall

But now, thanks to Deadflowr, I can back up the ***** I need to back up to my 128 Gig PNY thumb drive!

Much thanks to Deadflowr and anyone else that chimes in here to assist me!

Michael Piziak

p.s. the HP notebook 2000 I just purchaed, I installed the same 12.04 lts from same 8 gig thumb drive, and it works perfectly.
It's not a corrupt install, as this HP desktop has worked fine for like 2 years.

Michael Piziak

michael-piziak
September 12th, 2015, 05:49 AM
thanks so much to Deadflowr

I am now backing up my file named "michael"

which is my entire home folder

This will take 2 to 3 hours, since it's a 128 gig usb (2) thumb drive - but that's fine with me!

While I await all files to be copied/backed up,

if someone can chime in and tell me what to do to avoid a fresh/clean reinstall of 12.04 lts, that would be great.

But I play to do the fresh reinstall as soon as my home folder, or "michael" folder, is backed up to that 128 gig usb stick.

To me, a 128 gig usb stick is like a mini-HD, it's just MUCH SLOWER - but it gets the job done!

thanks again Deadflowr!

Michael Piziak

michael-piziak
September 12th, 2015, 04:36 PM
Bump - can anyone help?

I guess I will resort to reinstalling the computer tonight, I will wait for a Linux expert to examine this and try to help me here first.

MIchael

michael-piziak
September 13th, 2015, 03:28 AM
bump,

If I don't get more replies, then by midnight u.s. eastern time i will do a full reinstall

thanks to DeadFlowr again for making it POSSIBLE for me to back up the files I want to - as Deadflowr made my "File System" option in home folder come back!

everyone have a super night!

Michael Piziak - king of the world and Sonyas b!tch - lol, roflmao!

p.s. Sonya is this super-freak girl I know

See this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gT65GFEMQ2s

michael-piziak
September 13th, 2015, 05:21 AM
This is Captain Michael Piziak of the NASA Space Shuttle entitled Yamaha 02 XT 225 dual sport/street and trail also and space craft, LOL

Captain Piziak to mission control in Houston, Texas: We are going to have to manually reset the computer onboard the space shuttle

Houston/Mission Control: Captain Piziak, 10-4, have you backed up the data on it?

Captain Piziak: Yes, everything is backed up on a 128 gig usb stick

Mission Control: Proceed with resetting computer and returning essential backed up data to the Space Shuttel Yamaho 02 secondary computer. Over and Out and God Spend and GOOD LUCK ON RE-ENTRY!

Captain Piziak: Thank you Houston, all of us up here hope this craft can hold together on re-entry, send us your prayers that all the TILES stay on the Space Shuttle Yamaha 02 xt225. And R.I.P. my collegues and friends from the Challenger Mission Explosion, especially to Christa McCullogh, who taught my child science in his school!

Houston: Copy that and we all here miss them too. God Spend, we will all pray that re-entry goes well! And RIP Challenger Astronauts - some of the best people I (and we) have ever met in the world!

lol

roflmao