PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Install ERROR on new Dell Inspiron

Gilson_Maciel
September 11th, 2015, 02:09 AM
During my laptop first boot it crashed and restarted, after that it was showing the default dell recovery screen but wich didn't work.

What i did is that i've created a linux bootable usb with the 14.04.3 LTS version and booted with it and choosed the install option but i keeping getting this error:

"ERROR: This recovery media only functions on Dell and Alienware systems."

And the only option is a "Quit" button.

I've tried formatting the HDD and other partitions but still the same error occur. Any idea how can i solve this? I need this thing working!

Thank you in advance!

Geoffrey_Arndt
September 11th, 2015, 05:22 AM
That message does not sound like the wording that is found on any Ubuntu OS disk or flash-stick. It sounds like something in the recovery partition of the hard drive. In other words, i don't think you PC is seeing the bootable usb (disk or flashstick)?

Did you change your uefi/bios so it will boot from usb-stick first? Is Windows still on the hard drive or did you format the whole drive? What specific model of Dell laptop do you have? What is your graphics chipset (like Intel or nvidia or amd/ati)?

chemist931
September 12th, 2015, 05:24 PM
Might have to try booting from DVD if you can't create a bootable USB. You need a program to make a USB bootable with Ubuntu, such as https://rufus.akeo.ie/.

Hectorcaceres
September 12th, 2015, 06:33 PM

__________________________________________________ _______________________________________

Hector Dangelo Antoine Caceres

Gilson_Maciel
September 12th, 2015, 09:48 PM
I think its some firmware conflicting. I do have the bootable USB, i can even run the ubuntu from the usb but when i try to install it i get that message. Any idea on how to solve it?

I can navigated through the HDD, i've formatted then but sill same error.

Hectorcaceres
September 13th, 2015, 12:00 AM
__________________________________________________ _______________________________________

Hector Dangelo Antoine Caceres