PDA

View Full Version : Missing Ubuntu

branau
September 9th, 2015, 05:56 AM
I recently landed a job as a web developer and ended up having to buy a MacBook Pro in order to be able to run Photoshop and Office and things like that, and I gotta say, I really miss Ubuntu. The operating system in and of itself really isn't too different from OSX, and I had really only used Ubuntu for a few months before switching, but there seems to be a greater sense of community involvement when it comes to Ubuntu that you just can't find among the other OS's. I would love to be able to use Ubuntu in my day-to-day work but unfortunately I depend too much on some of the tools needed for my job in order to make sites pixel perfect according to the psd's. Anyway, bravo to you guys for making such an awesome OS and such an awesome community! I'll be back full time as soon as Adobe and Microsoft expand to include the Ubuntu community.

Bucky Ball
September 9th, 2015, 06:02 AM
I'll be back full time as soon as Adobe and Microsoft expand to include the Ubuntu community.

What, you mean you're never coming back??? :-k :D

QIII
September 9th, 2015, 06:09 AM
It's not a marriage or a "one or the other" deal.

I use Microsoft products professionally because I make a boatload of money doing that.

I use Linux because I prefer to. Win, win. I've never felt the need to abandon Linux because of my day job.

branau
September 9th, 2015, 06:20 AM
What, you mean you're never coming back??? :-k :D

Haha the keywords there were "full time" :D

It's not a marriage or a "one or the other" deal.

Yeah, but I don't have a desktop. Only a laptop. And I don't really see the point in installing Ubuntu on my MacBook because it's so similar and would just take up a lot of space on my already limited hard drive. If I had a computer that I just used for personal use then yeah, I'd absolutely run Ubuntu on it, but my only computer is a hybrid work and personal computer, so I'm kind of committed whether I want to be or not.

d-cosner
September 9th, 2015, 01:20 PM
You do what you have to do to earn a living, no one can fault you for that! :) I am considering putting Windows 10 on one of my computers in a effort to get back into the IT field. I have more than one computer though so I can still enjoy Ubuntu and Mint. There are situations where the Mac OS and Windows are a necessity, that's not going to change anytime soon.

branau
September 9th, 2015, 04:24 PM
Yeah I'll have to invest in a good desktop eventually or perhaps another laptop and a good sized monitor to link them up

coldraven
September 9th, 2015, 04:41 PM
Get yourself a Raspberry Pi 2 and play around with that for your Debian based amusement. When your boss wants some digital signage for a client you'll know how to do it (See my thread below). Meanwhile you can use Kodi for all your media at home. I got a nice monitor with blown speakers for $40 and plug the audio into my stereo.
Then if you swap out the SD card it's a different beast. Now you can get a touch screen for the Pi, there must be heaps of applications for that.
http://arstechnica.co.uk/information-technology/2015/09/raspberry-pi-now-has-a-60-7-inch-touchscreen-display/

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2280089

branau
September 10th, 2015, 02:21 AM
I've actually been wanting to get a Raspberry Pi, not so much for a desktop or for any sort of daily use but rather as a home cloud server or VPN server or something of the sort. They're pretty cheap and quite the bang for your buck from what I've seen.

Bucky Ball
September 10th, 2015, 05:25 AM
The RPi is a great little unit. :)

I actually retired mine and now run an Odroid (http://www.hardkernel.com/main/main.php) as a media server connected to the TV. Can watch or listen to anything on any computer in the house through the stereo system and large TV in the lounge. Perfect. It runs Lubuntu and I use Kodi. You will get more support with the RPi as the Odroid is a little more 'exotic' and less support consequently (not that I've needed any beyond their website and forum).

Have fun with the Pi. This could be your excuse to get one.

branau
September 11th, 2015, 05:56 AM
I just looked into Kodi and that's a neat little piece of software! I'd definitely have an excuse to get a Raspberry Pi now haha, and I'd have a neat use for it. I'll have to read up on getting that to work with all of the computers around the house and see if I can't hook up an old one to a tv to get a makeshift smart tv :P

Bucky Ball
September 11th, 2015, 06:36 AM
Kodi makes for a great smart TV! If you grab a USB TV dongle for it you can make it into a PVR as well. The Odroid has a 1Tb hard drive attached to it.

Kodi is REALLY easy to set up with other machines (although all my machines have static IP addresses so unsure about how you'd go about using dynamic where they are changing often). You simply add the machine and folders you want through the Kodi interface and then you can select the network folder any time you like once set up. We love it. RPi and Odroid have been using for about ... three or four years? (Xbmc first then that became Kodi, so don't let that confuse you during research ... one in the same thing.)

Kodi only needs to work on the RPi. There is NO Kodi setup for the other machines. They just need to be on the same network. Kodi will find them via IP.

branau
September 13th, 2015, 12:07 AM
Well Kodi definitely sounds like a worthwhile investment! I'll have to do some research, but I just saw that Amazon opened up to Mexico and they have the Pi in stock for sale down there, so I'm in luck!

On a side note, I wonder if it would be worth it to run photoshop in a virtual machine with windows installed? I've been considering a System76 computer for a while now but if I get one of those I'd like to invest in a high end one that will last me a long time. I would love to be able to use Ubuntu full time again like I had prior to buying this MacBook Pro. Photoshop is a pretty resource-demanding software, would I be able to run it inside of a virtual machine on a high end computer? In my line of work, I pretty much just need to be able to open up .psd files, maybe cut some of the images out and find out what the fonts are, but then I do the rest in coding. So It's not like I'd be doing some of the more advanced photoshop functions.

chemist931
September 13th, 2015, 03:02 AM
I sometimes have to venture into the realm of nightmares and enter my Windows password... Every time new horrors await. I completely understand :).

Bucky Ball
September 13th, 2015, 06:47 AM
Have you tried the open-source photoshop alternative, the Gimp??? You can try that in Windows. Cross-platform.

Anyhow, this is getting completely off-topic. Is Ubuntu still missing or have you decided to go in another direction? If so, posting a new thread would help you chances of support. :)

branau
September 13th, 2015, 06:07 PM
Yeah this got off-topic haha, I'll post a support request :)

SantaFe
September 13th, 2015, 07:30 PM
Have you tried the open-source photoshop alternative, the Gimp??? You can try that in Windows. Cross-platform.

Anyhow, this is getting completely off-topic. Is Ubuntu still missing or have you decided to go in another direction? If so, posting a new thread would help you chances of support. :)

So you won't be needing any of these
Anymore? ;)

brian-mccumber
September 13th, 2015, 08:06 PM
Wow, I am a freelance developer and the majority of the jobs I get are for web dev. If anything switching to Ubuntu/Linux from Windows has made my job even easier. I no longer need Filezilla, I can connect to web hosts directly using the file system in Ubuntu and this in itself is a great thing. Also I don't need to run Wamp or Lamp servers anymore to use php/mysql for sites and I don't need multiple copies of the websites anymore either, I can just connect to the host and build the site directly on it. I am currently swapping one website to another host and being able to drag and drop whole websites to different hosts is totally awesome! I could understand if you're on at a company that requires you to use those particular programs but anything that I did in PS or Illustrator I can do the same with Gimp and Inkscape. And because LibreOffice writer can export .docx files I can substitute it for MS word when clients send me doc and docx files and LibreDraw is great for drafting layouts and making ipo and flow charts. The tools don't make the carpenter it's the way the carpenter uses the tools that makes the carpenter for lack of a better analogy.

branau
September 13th, 2015, 08:14 PM
Really PS is the only thing holding me back. Right now the company I work for uses creative cloud and they've got me doing mostly full stack stuff. I'm hoping to get more into backend so then I won't even have this problem. But without being able to take the PSDs they send me and extract the fonts and images, I can't really do my job unless I could get the designers to just export those assets and send me a jpg of the entire layout, but that's more work for them.

brian-mccumber
September 13th, 2015, 08:30 PM
Well you have to comply with company rules when working for the company but it would make your life easier if the designers would slice the layout for you first, hehe. I have been weaning myself off of using images for the page layout, I try to use css where I can and since html5 gradient support in css has greatly increased so some nice looking sites can be made with just css even drop shadows and text shadows on elements. I found bootstrap and since then that is pretty much all I use for the frontend, it looks good and it behaves well across multiple browsers and it scales to fit any device the website is viewed on. It has a slight learning curve at first but once the rows and cols are figured out it is totally awesome. In case you have been under a rock and haven't heard of it here is a link to bootstrap - http://getbootstrap.com/.

Feel free to friend me here if you want, I like talking web design and development in general and can do so to great lengths.

branau
September 14th, 2015, 02:16 AM
I sometimes have to venture into the realm of nightmares and enter my Windows password... Every time new horrors await. I completely understand :).

Haha yeah I pretty much only use Windows for the occasional gaming session.

So you won't be needing any of these
Anymore? ;)

Haha no, not yet at least. I'll keep tat around though just in case :P

Well you have to comply with company rules when working for the company but it would make your life easier if the designers would slice the layout for you first, hehe. I have been weaning myself off of using images for the page layout, I try to use css where I can and since html5 gradient support in css has greatly increased so some nice looking sites can be made with just css even drop shadows and text shadows on elements. I found bootstrap and since then that is pretty much all I use for the frontend, it looks good and it behaves well across multiple browsers and it scales to fit any device the website is viewed on. It has a slight learning curve at first but once the rows and cols are figured out it is totally awesome. In case you have been under a rock and haven't heard of it here is a link to bootstrap - http://getbootstrap.com/.

Feel free to friend me here if you want, I like talking web design and development in general and can do so to great lengths.

Yeah I've worked with bootstrap as well and most of the styling I do with CSS and HTML5 as well, but the problem comes when I have to drop logos and stock photos into the web pages. Or like product photos for example. i don't usually get them individually.

I too enjoy discussing web development and I'm always on the lookout to learn more things. I was actually going more towards software development and networking when I got this job doing web development so I need to get a little more involved in the web development community. I added you

Bucky Ball
September 14th, 2015, 04:48 AM
This (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2294811&p=13355684#post13355684) thread might be of interest. This user is trying to work out how to get Gimp to use PSD files. :)

branau
September 14th, 2015, 05:10 PM
This (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2294811&p=13355684#post13355684) thread might be of interest. This user is trying to work out how to get Gimp to use PSD files. :)

Haha oh thanks, I'll check it out :P