PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu LTS Radeon Boot Issue

turkel.christopher
September 9th, 2015, 01:05 AM
I have a Dell Optiplex 360 and I installed a Radeon HD 8670 / R7 250 in, otherwise nothing has changed. The only distro that will install is Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, everything else won't start an installer or just hang on a black screen.

To even get Ubuntu to not freeze I had to boot into safe mode and install the proprietary Radeon drivers.

Half the time when I shut down or reboot it will just go to a black screen and to get it to work I have to boot into safe mode and run aticonfig --initial and reboot.

Any help?

MAFoElffen
September 9th, 2015, 02:23 AM
Did you install the fglrx package or ATI's binary driver?

In your next post, could you press the "#" code icon in the advanced post toolbar and paste your /etc/X11/xorg.conf contents in between the [ code ] tags?

Also, do the same again and paste the results of

sudo lspici | grep VGA && sudo lshw -n -c video

There is a conflict challenge when you install an PCI channel mounted R7 and if an onboard GPU or APU is stil active...

turkel.christopher
September 14th, 2015, 01:38 AM
I have disabled on my board graphics;

chris@terminalfrost:~$ sudo lspci | grep VGA && sudo lshw -numeric -c video01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Oland XT [Radeon HD 8670 / R7 250]
*-display
description: VGA compatible controller
product: Oland XT [Radeon HD 8670 / R7 250] [1002:6610]
vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] [1002]
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
version: 00
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm pciexpress msi vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
configuration: driver=fglrx_pci latency=0
resources: irq:29 memory:c0000000-cfffffff memory:dfdc0000-dfdfffff ioport:dc00(size=256) memory:dfe00000-dfe1ffff

MAFoElffen
September 15th, 2015, 04:25 AM
Let me ask again:

Did you install the fglrx package or ATI's binary driver?

You said

To even get Ubuntu to not freeze I had to boot into safe mode and install the proprietary Radeon drivers.

Half the time when I shut down or reboot it will just go to a black screen and to get it to work I have to boot into safe mode and run aticonfig --initial and reboot.

Remember my last post where I asked you to put your pasteed results within Code tags?

This is some text residing within code tags

You didn't do that with the last results and if I ask you to post your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file (within code tags)... it may be a mess. So could you please instead attach that file to your next post? Your may have to copy it to somewhere and append a .txt extension to it to be able to upload it as an attachment.