PDA

View Full Version : Returning Ubuntu user.

Dale61
September 8th, 2015, 05:05 AM
Due to reasons beyond my control, I have been a Windows user for far too long, but due to other reasons, I have returned to Ubuntu. Let me explain. As we would often upgrade our hardware, we weren't allowed to change from Windows until we actually owned the equipment. When we did, we would continue the contract and upgrade to a newer pc. We would then either sell our old model, or give it to a family member.

On this occasion, my old laptop was being used by a family member, who then got a virus within the machine. She decided that she wasn't going to deal with it and purchased a new laptop to replace the old one. I then had the task of either trying to rid the laptop of the virus, or to install Ubuntu. I chose the latter. However, as I only have access to a 10.06 copy on disc, that is where I started, only to find out support was no longer available. Upon further research, I found a way to firstly upgrade to 12.04, then another upgrade to 14.04. That is where it is now. A bog standard version of 14.04, and I still don't know if it will play videos, or music, or anything else. It will be used only when one of our current pc's crash and need to be sent in for repair.

So, I'm back, but not full time, but I will be visiting here on a more regular basis now that I have an Ubuntu installation.

Bucky Ball
September 8th, 2015, 07:02 AM
Thread moved to The Cafe.

Welcome back. Not a support request.

Yes, 14.04 LTS is a good place to be as it is a long-term support release and they are now supported for five, rather than three, years (14.04 until 2019). You can upgrade directly to the next LTS, 16.04 LTS when it arrives with a click or two, leap-frogging the interim releases in between. But looks like you've already discovered that. :)

We have an intro thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1451097) in the Cafe also. You might like to post there and introduce yourself.

Dale61
September 8th, 2015, 09:23 AM
I did have to think where I was going to post, but considering that it was about installation and upgrading, that was the best option. I didn't think that I would have to (re)introduce myself as I have been a member since August 2006. I'll have a look at the intro thread, and if I think there is anyone who cares, I'll think about posting.

Bucky Ball
September 8th, 2015, 09:30 AM
Up to you about the intro thread. Installation and Upgrades is a support area. You're not looking for any. :)

Enjoy the OS, things have changed, and the forums.

kc1di
September 8th, 2015, 10:43 AM
Welcome Back!

grahammechanical
September 8th, 2015, 01:15 PM
Linux is not like Windows in the very important sense that is does not require ever more powerful hardware to run the latest versions. Non-the-less, Linux does develop over time and it cannot work miracles with old hardware. Modern Linux distributions cannot overcome the limitations of the hardware. Especially, a video adapter that is underpowered.

The higher the expectation. The greater the disappointment.

MartyBuntu
September 8th, 2015, 07:25 PM
Non-the-less, Linux does develop over time and it cannot work miracles with old hardware. Modern Linux distributions cannot overcome the limitations of the hardware. Especially, a video adapter that is underpowered.

The higher the expectation. The greater the disappointment.

This isn't said enough.