PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Live cd works perfectly, installed version doesn't (Xubuntu, oh why ?!)

FizzBuntu
September 7th, 2015, 08:37 AM
Hello
I got my hand on a little old laptop (HP2510p). Very compact Dual-core processor equiped with 120GB HDD and 2 GB RAM.
The battery works great so I thought I'll turn it in a nice travelling companion.
I booted on the live session from USB and nearly everything worked out of the box (wifi, screen, sound, touchpad) and the whole system was very responsive.
I tested it for an hour or so and finally decided to make a clean install on the hard drive.
Install went without any problems but when I booted on the newly installed system I end up with a blury screen (low-res), no wifi, no touchpad, no usb for a mouse. Unusable.
After several tries, I finally give up on Xubuntu and install Ubuntu. Works perfectly.
I then installed Xubuntu-desktop and uninstall unity.
So finally, I end up with a Xubuntu look alike Ubuntu version that works OK.
However, as it uses much more RAM, I'm still wondering how it is the live environment of Xubuntu works perfectly and successfuly detect all of the laptop's hardware and the installed version doesn't...
Any clues or advices ?

thx

v3.xx
September 7th, 2015, 01:23 PM
Can't help you with Xubuntu, but thought I would mention Ubuntu Mate. Based on gnome (some what like unity) and may be a better choice for you.

egeezer
September 7th, 2015, 07:29 PM
I have often installed Ubuntu and added just Xfce and Xfce-goodies instead of the whole Xubuntu-desktop. That gives a hybrid system that, in my experience, performs more smoothly. If you do that, DO NOT remove the Unity desktop - at login there will be an option to use either Unity or Xfce.

FizzBuntu
September 8th, 2015, 08:47 AM
OK, found a workaround.
I installed the 32bits version and it went smoothly.
Probably something in the 64bits version or kernel that doesn't work.
Now (nearly) everything's fine.

Thx