PDA

View Full Version : box of Rocks = a person

RobertoRecordo
September 6th, 2015, 01:30 AM
I really want to know a better name for this start up screen.
In earlier versions of Ubuntu we saw a some cryptic symbols that I read as "A Box of Rocks Equals a Person" . When we first see it we can press and hold the shift key and are presented with choices of kernels that can be used, as well as Advanced Options. It does not say "Press and Hold Shift For More Options"

I am now using Ubuntu Gnome 15.04, and the BoR=P symbols are replaced with "A Foot Above Three Blinkers", which seems to be functionally the same place.

What is the name of that screen?

In my current version, before I see the foot, I get two successive grey screens (the second darker than the first) that are not centered well in my monitor. At present I am calling those phases of booting "The Light Before Dawn" (which can be very brief) and "Curse the Darkness". Often CtD persists until I press POR and try again.

Does anyone have the official nomenclature for what I am describing?

Still Learning Linux,

-Rob

tgalati4
September 6th, 2015, 02:34 AM
Those symbols are for aliens far in the future, when they dig up an Ubuntu machine, circa 2014. They will know what those symbols mean. I just hit the escape key to get to a GRUB menu. Obviously, those symbols mean something to somebody.

I think the symbol means: "If I put all of my toys in the box, then my mother will be happy."

RobertoRecordo
September 6th, 2015, 03:49 AM
LOL
I like it, but it lacks a good acronym.

coldraven
September 6th, 2015, 09:26 AM
That "Box of rocks" is supposed to be a glyph of a keyboard. I guess it makes sense when the OS can be configured to be in many languages and it has not booted to the point where it knows which language has been chosen. Could be a "Kase o'keys" :)