PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] Application Launch Bar Doesn't Offer Apps I've Added to Main Menu

LaneLester
September 3rd, 2015, 05:51 PM
I recently installed Lubuntu 15.04 and I added a side panel for apps I use often. The side panel has only one Application Launch Bar to which I've added six of the apps installed by the Lubuntu CD.

I've also installed LibreOffice (downloaded .deb's) and GIMP (from repositories), and I want to add them to the side panel. Although the two apps show in the menu, they do not show up in the Application Launch Bar Preferences.

I rebooted after adding the apps in hopes that would make them available. But it didn't.

Strangely enough, I used MenuLibre to add jGnash (Java app) to the main menu, and I was able to add it to the Application Launch Bar.

Lane

Rex Bouwense
September 4th, 2015, 05:41 PM
I just checked on my Lubuntu and I can indeed add both the LibreOffice applications and Gimp as quick launch. It should not make any difference whether your LXPanel is on the bottom or the side. How are you trying to add them?

LaneLester
September 4th, 2015, 05:56 PM
Thanks, Rex. I'm not sure Quick Launch, as you mentioned, is the same as having apps in the Application Launch Bar in a panel. But maybe it is.

Strangely enough, the two apps finally showed up as available to be added to the Application Launch Bar. I have no idea what changed to make them available.

Lane

Rex Bouwense
September 5th, 2015, 01:55 AM
Great. I have no idea why there was a delay. Normally, if the application appears in the main menu, you can create a quick launch icon on the Application Launch Bar.

LaneLester
September 5th, 2015, 12:47 PM
I discovered that MenuLibre saves application launchers, not in /usr/share/applications, but in /home/username/.local/share/applications. Perhaps that explains the strange behavior I saw.

Lane

LaneLester
September 5th, 2015, 01:08 PM
I discovered that MenuLibre saves application launchers, not in /usr/share/applications, but in /home/username/.local/share/applications. Perhaps that explains the strange behavior I saw.

Lane