PDA

View Full Version : A toner hack for my laser printer when it's an emergency

Old_Printer
August 27th, 2015, 07:30 PM
I like to share new things that I discover with computers and other electrical devices. Yesterday I performed an emergency toner hack. I don't recommend it to anyone -- especially if you're just leasing your laser printer. I own mine.

I hadn't planned on running a small 300 quantitly 11 x 17 printing order on the laser printer yesterday; I was going to go on the press with it. With my ASUS taking a dive on me, and with me spending time trying to get it up and running, my schedule became a bit tight for what I wanted to get done.

I was pleasantly surprised to learn that Ubuntu connects to my network printer nicely through my local LAN router. I did't use a driver disk to install it last week when I tried it, but I think there was some dialog regarding the printer possibly having a driver onboard. Either way, a successful test page was produced on Ubuntu / Zorin. Cool.

So, not being prepared by having an extra black toner cartridge on hand, I weighed my options and decided to run the tabloid job, which was two-sided, on the laser printer.

The amount of black toner that I had in the machine would have probably lasted until the end of the year. As it turned out, I now need to order some. I use the printer mostly for typsetting proofs. Once in a while I'll print some posters on it for a local organization.

I had about 30 sheets to go and what do you know . . . I ran out of black toner. I shook that thing and shook that thing and re-inserted it back into the machine. It spun and spun and worked its way up to telling me that it still wanted a new cartridge. Well, a cartridge would be about two days out and I needed the job done right away.

I know that the drum units have quite a bit of toner in them at all times. Not only that, but the small rubber tube that brings toner to the drum unit is always full, as well as the toner pump. My machine is CMYK, so there are four drums, four pumps, and four cartridges. Interesting note: the black is the most commonly used color, so they put that cartridge the fartherest from its drum. I suppose to avoid caking in the other colors. Their hoses are shorter due to the fact that they're not used as often.

My machine was fully supplied with black toner -- it was simply short in the cartridge. It was bone dry. I needed to get the machine to run 30 more sheets.

I took ahold of my black cartridge and pulled it out of the machine. I then proceeded to pop off the colored end that faces me when it's installed. The toner tube had a flat end, with a slightly concave center. I put a 1/2" drill bit in my drill and put a hole in the center of the tube's end. I then fitted it with a funnel and duct taped the whole setup to my car trailer outside at the back of my shop, with the tube vertical and the funnel on top, of course.

Now I needed some toner. I didn't have any black, as I've said, but I needed something to put in that empty black cartridge. I just need the machine to auger something -- whatever it could be. I didn't want to mess around with using colored toner as that stuff is about four times more expensive than the black. I have an off-brand red that doesn't do solids very well, but still, it's a color and I don't want to waste it. I went for something dirt cheap. I mean realy cheap.

Ever hear of the waste toner bottle on a laser printer? I don't know much about them, except that about every two years I need to dump it out, and there's basically about two cartridges worth of toner in there, albeit all four colors: CMYK. This was my newly-discovered black toner supply -- for emergencies.

The toner from the waste bottle was an off-black color, tilting on the fence of a chocolate brown. There must have been a lot of yellow and red in it. I filled my empty black cartridge about halfway. I then put a piece of duct tape over the hole and popped the plastic cover/handle back onto the end. I did use the vacuum cleaner to suck out any loose plastic pieces prior to filling, which may have been left over from drilling the hole.

There, now I had my new toner cartridge. There's one thing: the machine still won't take it because the RF chip on the end of the cartridge has already been written to by the CPU in the laser printer. The printer wrote to the chip and told it that the cartridge is empty.

To get the machine to take my refilled cartridge, I popped out the dead RF chip and replaced it with the RF chip from my off-brand red. It fit down in the little pocket just perfectly, and I put a piece of Scotch tape over it to hold it in place. I slid the cartridge into the machine and it powered passed the toner request and started printing again. Woo hoo!

Now, there's the question about having an off-color black in the machine. Yes, but when I get my new cartridge, I'll simply open a document on my computer, 11 x 17, and create a fill box of the same size and color it black. I'll just send that document to the printer for a quantity of about five or six sheets. However, I won't send my purge document to the printer until one of my proof prints starts to take on the off-color black. With a new cartridge installed, the new black toner will work the off-color toner down through the machine. If I wait to run the purge document, I just might be able to run for several days, if not a couple of weeks, printing proof sheets on the original black toner that's still in the drum unit.

Now, about that RF chip being called a sheet counter. I won't along with that. If I printed nothing but a single 8 point period in the middle of the sheet, I could run that machine for six weeks, day and night, before I would run out of toner. Maybe not six weeks, but you know what I'm saying. It's all about how much toner coverage is on your document. I once used an entire cartridge in one day, printing post script black halftone photos, tabloid size, two sides, 1,200 sheets. The machine must have a sensor to tell it whether or not there's toner coming out of the cartridge, but I won't called that RF chip a sheet counter.

I can re-install the RF chip back into the red cartridge, which will enable me to use that again someday if I need it.

There's my toner hack. I don't recommend it. :D

Old_Printer

coldraven
August 27th, 2015, 09:40 PM
Nice hack! Did you manage to print your pdf version 1.2?

Old_Printer
August 27th, 2015, 09:54 PM
Hi Raven. Thanks for the reply. Nope, I have to read up on downgrading PDFs with what you suggested. Due to the fact that I used the laser printer to output my taboid job, I didn't have to use my imagesetter, which needs PDF 1.2. I've had my hands full trying all kinds of new things and new distros. What I had to print yesterday I had to do with what was familiar. I used a backup machine that was loaded with XP, post script driver for halftones.

I spent a good chunk of my day getting my desk organized, reloading some different machines with Zorin and Windows. I have to put Ubuntu on yet and then I'll be ready to set up my local network for network printing from my Linux systems.

The day flies. :D

Old_Printer

tgalati4
August 28th, 2015, 03:32 AM
Nice hack. I use it frequently on older laser printers. Which is precisely why printer manufacturers put page-count chips in their ink and toner cartridges--to keep you from reusing or refilling them. That is also the reason why I keep the older printers around.

Old_Printer
August 28th, 2015, 04:25 AM
@coldraven. I don't know why I called you Raven. I apologize for that. I never, ever do that. I just simply typed what I was thinking, I guess, without looking back. Thanks, coldraven.

@tgalati4 Yeah, this stuff is pretty sneaky.

My laser printer has a 80GB hard drive in it, taking snapshots of everything I send to it. Or, it could be something like WinNT. I have no idea. Perhaps there's more than one drive.

I scrapped out two big Toshiba copiers / laser printers about a month ago. Their sheet capacities were about 4,000 sheets and they were fitted with collating, stapling finishers. They each had notebook hard drives hidden inside of them. They were both blank when I read them on an external USB housing. The funny thing is, the date stamps on them were three to five years newer than when the college purchased them. What does that tell you? The college bought them in around 2001, and the hard drives were from about 2003 and 2004. When they decided to buy new ones and sell off their old ones, they apparently had a tech come in and unhook them. He must have swapped out the old drives for new or blank ones. I bet the customer didn't even know they were in there. Maybe they record errors. Who knows?

One of the copiers had a Toshiba desktop model PC bolted to the side of it inside of a housing. It was loaded with WinNT. This served as a controller for both machines. This enabled them to be network printers, while at the same time you could print tandem jobs -- not by sending a document from the computer, but by scanning, first. If you had to make 10,000 copies, you could scan your document on the main machine, or bring up a PDF from the controller hard drive partition that stored scans, and you could tell the machines to print tandem. In no time at all the other machine started to crank out copies, thus making your output about 50 / 50 from each machine. A single hard drive contained the operating system as well as the PDFs. Both machines were identical, so if a person wanted to, you could hang the controller on either one of them.

They were odd machines. You couldn't just make a copy on them, you had to tell them to either print it or save it after the scanner swipes -- each time. The school stored regular tutorial handouts on the hard drive, and the professors simply accessed those stored PDF documents on a regular basis. You could also print to the main one and use it like a laser printer. You couldn't select the tandem machine with your printer dialog box, though. The main machine served as the only connection to the network. You could drag and drop a PDF to a folder on the hard drive, then go to the main machine and print it or choose tandem from there.

The fact that the replacement drives in those Toshibas were blank tells me that something in the user touch pad control wasn't punched in to reset them. Whether they're in there or not, the machines still work as they should, but if they're in there and they're mounted, the CPU will write to them. At least this is what I'm guessing.

I often thought of a good way to get data with no way of knowing, really, where it came from, is the recycling programs for inkjet cartridges. You don't see those free envelopes in the stores as often as you used to, but the postage was usually prepaid. You simply dropped your spent cartridge in the envelope and dropped the envelope in the mail. Now, just think if some manufacturer put flash drive chips in them. Everything ever printed would be documented. For what you pay for those little buggers, it makes you think. I doubt it, though. Who has the time to sit and go through all that stuff?

Old_Printer

coldraven
August 28th, 2015, 10:05 AM
I once was given a very big high speed dot matrix printer. Someone had spilled a sweet drink into it and hadn't told anyone. I took the motherboard out and washed it under the tap using a paint brush to get rid of all the sticky mess. When it was dry I found that one capacitor had one of it legs eaten away by the sugar. I soldered in a new one and it came back to life. I think the capacitor cost 20c!

kurt18947
August 28th, 2015, 02:54 PM
Nice hack. I use it frequently on older laser printers. Which is precisely why printer manufacturers put page-count chips in their ink and toner cartridges--to keep you from reusing or refilling them. That is also the reason why I keep the older printers around.

No worries:D

http://www.inkowl.com/index.php?C=2&S=27.

I haven't tried toner refills but do buy ink & refillable ink cartridges from that company.

Old_Printer
August 28th, 2015, 05:55 PM
@kurt18947 Cool! I took a look at the link. My printer isn't listed. Get this, though, I did buy some compatible cartridges about five years ago: blue and red. When the OEM toners finally made their way through the drum units -- and I was for sure printing with the compatible toner -- I saw a noticeable difference in my colored solids. Instead of the solids being dense and consistent in color, they were modeled and patchy, with the other colors of CMYK coming through them.

It's definitely a proprietary thing. They have their exact toner formula positively figured out for their machines.

I think I stumbled onto a trick by the manufacturer to make us use more toner than we realize -- aside from dumping it into our waste bottles.

I can print on poly sheets, using black toner, to make a disposable printing plate for one of my printing presses. You simply feed the plastic sheet into the laser printer and the machine doesn't know the difference. It prints on it like it would a piece of paper. Here's where it became interesting.

I was running low on black toner a few years ago and thought I would try a different approach to making a poly plate. Instead of my typeset document being in black on my monitor, when I finished, I colored it 100% yellow. I think you can see where I'm going with this reasoning. Toner is toner -- at least in regard to the poly sheet. Any type of toner will act as a receptor to ink on the printing press. The output worked just as I had guessed. The poly plate was pulled in through the bypass tray and came out upside down in the delivery area -- just like any other printed sheet. I then proceeded to punch the holes in the ends of it for my pin bar mounts on my press. Here's where my eyes opened -- big time.

I inked up the press and made everything ready, just like any other time. I dropped the dampening rollers onto the poly plate, waited a few revolutions, then dropped the ink rollers. I was printing with black ink on the press, so as soon as the rollers were dropped, the yellow toner received the black ink and at that point there was absolutely no difference between this poly plate and any other poly plate that I had made in the past while outputting black text from my typesetting computer.

When everything looked good while watching the plate cylinder go around, I started the feeder on the press and printed the first few sheets of white paper. No problem. So I thought. I pulled the sheets out of the delivery end of the press and placed them on my table. Lordy, lordy what I witnessed. If I would have had a hat on my head it probably would have been tossed onto the floor. To the average eye, meaning to a person not particularly concerned with the quality of a printed sheet, nothing would have appeared to be out of the ordinary; however, things were bad.

The printed text on my first sheets from the press were as good as you'd expect from a poly plate. No matter how high of a resolution you use, the plate image created by using toner just isn't as refined as using a computer-to-plate (CTP) machine with aluminum, or in my case, an imagesetter to make negatives. My machine outputs PDFs to film at 2,400 dpi. I use the film negatives to make my aluminum printing plates. No, this time it was the white area of the sheet that had run afoul. Very, very tiny little specs of black were blanketing my entire sheet -- in an orderly fashion. I'll have to admit, I thought I might have been seeing things, but there was something there. I grabbed my magnifier and took a closer look at the sheet. The little flecks of black ink were the size of a speck of dust. Small dust. The kind of dust you'd probably get from regular dust when it shook itself.

These little specks of ink had nothing to do with my printing press, mind you. The printing press simply rolls the ink onto the printing plate, whether that plate is poly or aluminum. In fact, you can sometimes make a nice replication of your finger print if you want. The conditions have to be just right, maybe some type of element on your hand or fingers, but if you touch the plate and you affect the plate's surface, the printing rollers will ink your print, thus transferring the image to the sheet. That's why sometimes you'll see a faint mark, a hairline scratch, running across the page of a newspaper. That's just what it is: someone accidentally scratched the printing plate. Now that affected area -- the scratch -- takes on ink.

My laser printer, when using color, leaves a hidden, nearly invisible matrix of colored toner on the entire sheet, even if I were to only be printing a small area of solid text or photo. This doesn't happen when using only black. I didn't think to experiment any further with 100% cyan or 100% magenta, but if it did it with yellow, am I safe to assume it does it in all colors -- especially when all the colors are used -- as when someone is printing a full-color photo? This was an amazing thing for me to discover. I could be printing a small photo in the middle of a sheet of paper, but the entire sheet is actually being speckled with tiny bits of CM and Y. Can you imagine if you had to print 500 sheets of paper, and if you were to add up all those little tiny specks and compile them into one solid image? Instead of 500 sheets worth of toner being used on those 500 sheets, it could very well be that a person is really using 600 sheets worth of toner.

Without ever having printed a yellow-toner-only poly plate and using it on my printing press, I never would have discovered this.

Isn't this something?

Old_Printer

Paul_Wong
August 28th, 2015, 06:33 PM
Nice hack. Seems like you are an expert with printers. :D

I must have a really old laser printer without the smart rf chips.

I am still able to drill a hole in the toner cartridge and refill the toner twice before buying a new toner cartridge.

I buy my toner refill (2 bottles of black toner on ebay for like 7 bucks) :D The printer still allows me to print.

3x uses for toner is nice considering the expensive cost of toner cartridges.

tgalati4
August 29th, 2015, 04:24 AM
It could be the spray pattern of colored toner versus black. Since color is often blended to get the full palette, it's possible that printing text or fine lines with color will leave a fine mist of color over the entire sheet. So although your experiment worked, you got an unexpected result.