PDA

View Full Version : Trying to install ubuntu, given "Error fsyncing/closing /dev/sda: Input/Output error"

Watchamacolite
August 27th, 2015, 03:01 AM
Hi there. The the other day I bought a new chrome book and a new 128GB SSD off of amazon. Today I installed the new SSD and made a new LiveUSB with (originally linux mint, but now) ubuntu. After enabling developer mode, I happily booted the computer via the USB to be met with the oh-so-familiar installation screen linux brings you to on a liveUSB or liveCD boot. Life was going just swell, I start installing, and go make a cup of coffee.

I come back to the installation several minutes later to find out that it had failed near the end because the filesystem was "Read Only". I pressed "Okay", and the install crashes and asks me to send a bug report. Thinking nothing of this, I proceed to reboot the computer and try to install it again.

Unfortunately, and this is the thing ive been dealing with for the past 10 hours, is the fact that upon opening the installer, I'm greeted with the not-so-familiar warning box with the error "Error fsyncing/closing /dev/sda: Input/Output error". Literally 10 hours of using google for my problem has not helped me in the slightest. Some forums say that its a hardware issue, or that the .iso is corrupt, or that my flashdrive is bad, or my (insert computer component here) can't handle the installation (the list goes on). I've used several different sticks at this point, with several different types of software for formatting a USB (most recently Rufus) to no avail. Even using a different flavor of linux on a different USB gives me the same error, which leads me to believe that it's a hardware issue.

I'm the type of linux user that uses it for development, which means I know the basic ins and outs of the terminal. That being able to read and list directories at a whim, and using apt-get when i need a new python package. That's really about it. If you have any advice on the matter, or need any info, I'd be happy to post it here. I'm so dead inside after this amount of time that I can't really think straight, so if you would be so kind to explain the instructions like i'm 5, then it would be much appreciated. I'm also off to bed in a few hours so I may not be able to respond after 10:00PM MST (2 hours from now)

TheFu
August 27th, 2015, 07:15 PM
Each chromebook has a specific method to do this. Follow the instructions you find for your model. These are not generic for all chromebooks. If you'd like more help, please post the exact make and model of chromebook.

Watchamacolite
August 27th, 2015, 10:02 PM
To do what? Combat the error? I know I could have used crouton - and I did for a while - but I decided on wiping the system and installing linux on the new SSD instead of chromeOS (and having a different desktop environment). If there is a specific set of instructions to combat the error, could I see the link (to any one of them)? 10 hours of internet-ing the problem didn't turn up any results for me regarding what you're talking about.

TheFu
August 27th, 2015, 10:29 PM
There is a specific method to load any non-ChromeOS Linux install onto each different model of chromebook.

Watchamacolite
August 27th, 2015, 11:14 PM
Yes and I've done so, but during the install I'm met with the error mentioned above.