PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] re-enable touchpad, disable visually-impaired audio

George Heine
August 24th, 2015, 05:26 PM
My travel computer is a Toshiba NB-505 notebook with Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (also has a Windows 7 partition). A few weeks ago, for unknown reasons (perhaps from playing with the function keys to get it synced with a projector), the touchpad quit working. At first I thought this might be a hardware failure, but after much experimentation, was able to get it re-enabled by booting to Windows and pressing Function/F9.

What is the key sequence in the Ubuntu interface to re-enable (or disable) the touchpad?

Also, the computer now seems to have audio enabled for visually-impaired users. For example, at the login screen I get an audio message asking for my password, then for each key pressed, the audio pronounces the name of the key (or just "asterisk" if entering a password). Not a major issue because audio is usually muted anyway, but how do I disable this functionality?

More generally, where is there a guide to keypad sequences for controlling the hardware? Better yet, how many of these functions can be controlled
with BASH commands typed at the terminal, and where is there a guide to these commands? (e.g., I had to learn "sudo poweroff" to shut down the computer when the touchpad was disabled.) I am familiar with the bash man pages, but is there a more concise guide somewhere to just hardware control commands?

Thanks for any assistance.

ajgreeny
August 24th, 2015, 08:30 PM
What is the key sequence in the Ubuntu interface to re-enable (or disable) the touchpad?
There is no standard key sequence that I know of for that; it is going to be very dependent on the exact hardware you have and how the maker put it all together. Do a web-search on your Toshiba model to find out more if you don't have a written manual.

Also, the computer now seems to have audio enabled for visually-impaired users. For example, at the login screen I get an audio message asking for my password, then for each key pressed, the audio pronounces the name of the key (or just "asterisk" if entering a password). Not a major issue because audio is usually muted anyway, but how do I disable this functionality?I've never come across that before but I assume it must be Screen-reader in the "Universal Access" control dialogue. I don't use Ubuntu with unity so will leave you to deal with that.

More generally, where is there a guide to keypad sequences for controlling the hardware? Better yet, how many of these functions can be controlled with BASH commands typed at the terminal, and where is there a guide to these commands? (e.g., I had to learn "sudo poweroff" to shut down the computer when the touchpad was disabled.) I am familiar with the bash man pages, but is there a more concise guide somewhere to just hardware control commands? See my first answer above.

However, there are a some general commands that may help you out with some of these questions. If the laptop has a synaptics touchpad you will normally be able to enable and disable the pad completely with synclient, a command-line utility, using command
synclient TouchpadOff=1 to turn the pad off and
synclient TouchpadOff=0to turn it on again. Look at man synclient or https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SynapticsTouchpad for a lot more info on that.

For volume control in terminal or using aliases or even as keyboard shortcuts you could try the three commands

amixer set Master playback 3dB-to lower volume,

amixer set Master playback 3dB+to raise volume and

amixer -D pulse set Master toggleto toggle volume on and off.

George Heine
September 15th, 2015, 01:36 AM
Thank you for the response, and please excuse the belated reply; had to deal with some pressing matters.

"synclient" does appear to turn the touchpad on and off on my system; will try disabling it off before my next power-down; and, if it is still disabled on the next boot, try using synclient to enable. The information about "amixer" is also interesting, and gives a lot of fine-grained control over an audio system which is actually quite primitive.

The audio that comes up at power-on appears to be the result of a program named "orca", installed by default on Ubuntu and some other Linux systems. I entered "orca -t" to set options, and then was prompted to answer a series of questions at the keyboard. On my next power-up, got an audio message "screen reading disabled", and then was able to enter a password without audio feedback for each keystroke. A possibly related issue is that I have the CapsLock key (used in the Laptop version of orca) disabled in my user profile, but this does not become effective until after logging in.

George Heine
September 15th, 2015, 11:40 PM
Tried using synclient to disable the touchpad, then rebooting. But on reboot, the touchpad is enabled again. Then booted into Windows, used Functionl-F9 to disable the touchpad. Upon reboot, touchpad was disabled, and entering "synclient TouchpadOff=0" had no effect. Had to reboot to Windows to re-enable the touchpad.

Searched the Toshiba manual without finding much. Unit has a Synaptics touchpad, but there is no information about model number, etc. (There was a note in the troubleshooting section about using the Function-F9 key combination in Windows.)

The spoken audio prompts while logging in have disappeared; something, apparently something I did while configuring orca.

So, I guess the status of these problems is that both have been fixed for now, but I do not have clear information about why they occurred in the first place, nor a repeatable fix, other than booting to Windows for the touchpad. There are some further suggestions in this thread (http://buntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2233632) , which I will try as time permits.