PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu desktop continues to install phone version on laptop

mark242
August 19th, 2015, 06:25 PM
This is quite weird

I just bought an Acer ES1-520-3441, i successfully installed 15.10 daily version but after i logged in it continued to install ubuntu for mobile phones rendering my laptop useless.

I tried to download and install 15.04 as well without luck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as i have to go back to winslow if this wont work.

I have used Ubuntu on several computers and are quite used to it but this takes the fuss of me.

Regards
Mark

Bucky Ball
August 19th, 2015, 06:31 PM
Welcome. Unless you are intending to test and report bugs, don't use 15.10. It is not released yet and not a good place to start unless you want an extreme learning curve.

If you want support it is best to give as much information as you can. What happens when you attempt to install 15.04? What are the specs of your machine? 'No luck' is not enough. Please tell us exactly what is happening so we can help. See the link in my signature for the best ways to post for support.

Personally, I'd recommend 14.04 LTS as a good place to start. It is a long-term support release so supported until 2019. 15.04 until January 2016. If you have a very new machine 15.04 may be preferable, though (as in the last six months or so).

* Download Ubuntu from HERE (http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop).

mark242
August 19th, 2015, 06:48 PM
The machine was bought 4 hours ago. I am trying with 14.04 as you suggest

Just wondering as I am using 15.04 on this desktop and on another acer laptop.

But maybe it will solve the problem.

Bucky Ball
August 19th, 2015, 07:08 PM
It may have been bought four hours ago but when did it come on the market? :)