PDA

View Full Version : I've been thinking about computer monitors/screens and reading glasses

michael-piziak
August 19th, 2015, 02:26 AM
I've been running this thought threw my head. My DSLR camera has a diopter adjustment on it so that I don't need glasses to use it.

I also think that if you used a compound microscope (not a stereo microscope) and also if you use a telescope using one eye, I don't think you need your glasses as you can simply adjust the focus to your eye - even when it's not a perfect 20/20 vision eye.

So, this is what I have been brain storming. I use the lightest (most weak) reading glasses to read small print.

My thought is this and please comment. Is there a computer program that can adjust what is seen on screen to be compatible with your eyes when you need reading glasses - a program that allows you to put your reading glasses down and fully see the screen in focus (by using the program to tell the computer how to adjust the screen/monitor/images to your bad eyes needs.

Intriguing.

Comments please.

SeijiSensei
August 19th, 2015, 03:08 AM
I have a special pair of glasses that are designed to focus at the distance between me and the screen. You might want to talk to your eye doctor.

michael-piziak
August 19th, 2015, 03:10 AM
Thanks so much.
However, I was trying to make the point that computers can do almost anything these days, so why can't they adjust the screen somehow so one doesn't need any type of optical glasses.
I'm just brain-storming here. There may already be a program to do this. Curious.

mastablasta
August 19th, 2015, 10:06 AM
I would suggest you check how the eyes and glasses work.

in both of your cases there is a lens between the eye and the picture and you adjust that lense. if you are asking fi a computer can adjust the lense to your eye then the answer is yes. my eye doc has it to measure my eye sight.

if you are asking if a picture on flat screen monitor can suddenly become readably by using a program the answer is no (not unless there is some lens between the picture and the eye).

otherwise crtl and + and enlarge the text :P

Bucky Ball
August 19th, 2015, 11:33 AM
otherwise crtl and + and enlarge the text :P

Yep, that's my solution. Ctl+roll the scroll wheel. The worst is when you're working from hardcopy that you need glasses to read, and a screen, which you don't need glasses to read. Which way do you go? :-k

End of nose normally.

The Cog
August 19th, 2015, 11:47 AM
Enlarging the font won't necessarily help a lot. Nothing you can do on the computer will bring a screen into focus if your eyes can't focus on that distance. You need to either adjust your distance until the screen is in focus which may not be convenient/possible, or use lenses to correct your focus. Nothing the computer can display on a flat screen can correct for poor focus by your eyes. If you use a computer a lot, it is well worth getting glasses optimised for your normal head-screen distance.

buzzingrobot
August 19th, 2015, 12:07 PM
Interfaces (not all) these days allow scaling of the display. Basically, that increases the number of pixels used to render characters so they do't look so tiny on high resolution displays. It's not a panacea, by a long shot, however.

And making things bigger impacts sharpness, font rendering, and the amount of info that's seen on a display.

Technology exists in digital photography that attempts to improve the focus of an image after the picture is taken. Perhaps that could be applied here.

If the "glass" on a display was a lens with adjustable focus, some interesting things could happen.

Technology that would allow the dynamic increase or decrease of pixel size would be interesting. Today, if you do something like push a full-screen browser window down to 25 percent of screen size, 75 percent of the content in the window is out of view. If pixel size could change dynamically, then the content displayed in that window would remain constant, with trade offs in ease of reading, etc.

Until then, I guess we'll just have to make do. One thing that often makes a big difference for me is to adjust the sharpness setting of a display, if it has one. I think this is often forgotten.

J_Me
August 19th, 2015, 08:45 PM
As everyone has mentioned it's to do with lenses. To be more specific the light entering the front of your eye needs to hit the back of the eye at a point, too short or long a focal point and the image is blurred.

Here's a good trick anyone can do if they've forgotten their glasses and need to see something clearly.

How to See Without Glasses
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OydqR_7_DjI

mastablasta
August 20th, 2015, 09:34 AM
Yep, that's my solution. Ctl+roll the scroll wheel. The worst is when you're working from hardcopy that you need glasses to read, and a screen, which you don't need glasses to read. Which way do you go? :-k

End of nose normally.

I am very short sighted and can see clearly only to about 5 cm. glasses are too thick +age is now showing a bit so sometimes when looking at smaller object or when assembling something small I found that taking off the glasses helps a bit. very annoying. when I wear contacts I have difficulty focusing on closer objects.

I used to play basketball without the glasses. basket was a complete blur, but I could still hit it from 3 point range. strange... glass tables were more annoying to play at since basket was harder to spot, but once you get used to it you know approximately where it is :)