PDA

View Full Version : clipboard incredibly flakey...

VitasLoWang
August 17th, 2015, 03:08 PM
Hello guys. This keeps bothering me for years already and today I finally decided to ask you if you think it is just normal behavior for every Linux or window manager or it is just my bad luck or corrupted software :-]
What is the situation? I Use clipboard a lot - I mean both of them. The text select and middle button to paste and also ctrl+c, ctrl+v because text select does not work in some applications. It happens A LOT that I just select a text, press ctrl+c, go somewhere else, press ctrl+v BUT the pasted text is not in the friking clipboard! There is either nothing or the old content from previous ctrl+c usage! So in that moment I am interrupted and my work concentration is gone :sad: I do the exact same thing again - select the text, press ctrl+c, try to paste it and bingo - suddenly it was copied and clipboard works :o It seems like the keyboard combination is frequently somehow lost and I just have to redo it so the system wakes up and catches it! I don't know if I should blame the apps I use or the GUI or the OS. Sometimes ctrl+c never works and only right click / copy does. This has been happening for about last three years in like 4 versions of Ubuntu I have been using (between 10-14). I tested many WMs and the problem seems to be happening occurring in all of them: Unity, Gnome, Cinnamon, XFCE, Mate... And no, I don't think it is just my hands ;) I did not have any such problems when I used MS Windows before and not even now when I am in my virtual windows 7 in Virtualbox and use clipboard there it does not happen. Thoughts, experiences?

vasa1
August 17th, 2015, 03:15 PM
... experiences?
Copy/paste has been kind to me. Never had a bad experience so far either using keyboard or mouse. I don't know what to say. Is this your experience on more than one machine?

VitasLoWang
August 17th, 2015, 03:20 PM
Actually the hardware is the same: Thinkpad T420, but it keeps happening regardless if I use external keyboard or built-in. As I said I did not notice it in virtual windows on the same machine or in real Windows on secondary hard drive