PDA

View Full Version : network printer not found (Canon MP 970)

Peter_Huebner
August 16th, 2015, 04:17 PM
I was hoping to hitch a ride with a year-old thread on this forum where somebody could not get their Canon MP970 working.

My problem starts at a much more basic level: the laptop simply can't see the printer. I have started the New Printer process, gone to 'find network printer' and ... nothing.
I assume "Host" in that window stands for either the IP of the router or the IP of the printer on the LAN, but neither IP works when I try it on the cups (what does cups stand for, anyway?) - it simply doesn't register. The printer works fine with 3 windows machines over the same router. There are various options for ipps but I can't make heads or tails out of that lot.

No idea what to do - I'm a complete linux noob. Incidentally I am using Mint, not Ubuntu, but they seem to have the same mechanisms ...

PaulW2U
August 16th, 2015, 04:19 PM
Thread moved to MINT as you're not using an official Ubuntu flavour.

Peter_Huebner
August 16th, 2015, 05:10 PM
Unfortunately shortly after I posted this, Mint crashed alltogether - I tried to open firefox to test an alternative method suggested in a tutorial, by using the browser, but it would not start the browser, crashed to a black screen instead and the USB stick installation of Mint won't boot any more at all.

I tried once more with the live version, but that, also, can't see any network printers.

yancek
August 16th, 2015, 06:38 PM
(what does cups stand for, anyway?)

Common UNIX Printing System

Ask the obvious, is it plugged in and turned on when you make these efforts. If yes, is it connected to one of the other computers? If not, give the link below a read as it has some suggestions that may help.

ajgreeny
August 16th, 2015, 07:59 PM
Have you, or perhaps I should now say, had you, installed a printer driver package of any kind from Canon?

I'm not sure how well supported that printer is, but in the past when I used a Canon MFP I had to go to the Canon site to find the driver for both printer and scanner; then the printer worked brilliantly. A quick search suggests that Canon do not have their own driver for that model but they suggest that the OS may support it, which I presume means cups.

Try again when you get your OS up and running and come back again if you still have ongoing problems.

Peter_Huebner
August 16th, 2015, 11:32 PM
@yancek - printer is connected to the router (network printer!) and yes, it was turned on. That's how I managed to find out what IP it's sitting at ...

@ajgreeny - no support from Canon, no driver package available on their site. There was a thread on the ubuntu forums a year ago and everybody there reported that Ubuntu was able to see the printer even if they had not managed to find a driver & get it to print initially, so maybe I'll have to download a vanilla ubuntu iso and give that a try.

Peter_Huebner
August 17th, 2015, 06:58 AM
Thread moved to MINT as you're not using an official Ubuntu flavour.

Well since Mint crashed horribly, trashing the install on my 16 Gb usb3 stick with it, I downloaded and installed Ubuntu.

My problem has not changed, the 'add-printer' software is to all appearances the same, it still won't find my printer regardless of
my using the router (192.168.1.1) or the printer IP (192.168.1.17) as host.

So I haven't got any further yet.

trtle
September 9th, 2015, 10:31 PM
I had the same problem with my printer until I found out the router had 'wireless isolation' turned on.
Secondly I had to turn on like every plugin on the router to share information on the network plug-in-play, UPnP, etc. I forget all what but until I did that nothing would really work without strong-arming, port 631.