PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Workspace switcher alternatives

v3.xx
August 15th, 2015, 02:43 PM
I am using 5 or 6 workspaces these days and looking for a better (GUI) way to do this.

I use a single panel and find my current setup of having them all in a row to be taking up more panel space than I like. Using two rows makes them too small for my taste.

Currently using both marco (metacity) and compiz. I will eventually drop marco, so better to find a compiz solution. It would be nice to have a popup when wanting to switch desktops and free up that panel space. I thought I seen this option in compiz, but not finding it.

Dennis N
August 15th, 2015, 03:03 PM
I am using 5 or 6 workspaces these days and looking for a better (GUI) way to do this... It would be nice to have a popup when wanting to switch desktops and free up that panel space. I thought I seen this option in compiz, but not finding it.

You might try out the "Window Selector" - it displays all open windows segregated by which desktop they are on, and allows switching between them all. Sits in the panel as a single icon.

CantankRus
August 15th, 2015, 03:33 PM
Don't know what panel you are using but in the flashback session I can
just create a new gnome-panel that doesn't expand, with auto hide on and only
has the workspace switcher in it.

tgalati4
August 15th, 2015, 04:12 PM
I label each workspace and use the keyboard to move between them--Control-Alt-Arrow. You can set hard boundaries at each end or circular rotation. I don't use the panel-selector, because it is too small, and it takes too much time to move the mouse select a very small target.

An alternative is to check "Show workspace names" and that makes the selectors bigger (the size of the Workspace label).

v3.xx
August 15th, 2015, 06:26 PM
You might try out the "Window Selector" - it displays all open windows segregated by which desktop they are on, and allows switching between them all. Sits in the panel as a single icon.

Bingo :D

and thanks to all for the suggestions