PDA

View Full Version : Biggest dictionary in terms of number of words covered

tech291083
August 15th, 2015, 08:58 AM
Hi Friends,

Hope I am not asking an irrelevant question today. I am in the process of buying a good English to English dictionary, probably one published by either Oxford or Cambridge, but not sure now. I want to have the biggest dictionary in terms of words covered. Can you please guide me as to which one I should buy based in your personal experience? I am based in India. My friends insist that I buy on from Oxford Press, but I am a little confused here as after having looked online for the biggest possible Oxford English dictionary in terms of sheer number of words covered, as there are many types ie Pocket dictionary, little dictionary, mini dictionary, concise dictionary, advanced dictionary etc. So which one is the biggest? Pocket, little and mini are definitely not the biggest as far as I know. so far from what I have searched online, it looks like Concise dictionary is the biggest one, am I right?

Thanks

grahammechanical
August 15th, 2015, 02:12 PM
How much money are you prepared to pay? Do you want English English or American English?

The Oxford English Dictionary (OED) is very, very expensive. It comprises 20 volumes. The latest update has included an additional 500 words, phrases and senses. And so it goes on with the number of words used in the English language increasing every year.

http://www.oed.com/

But like me you most likely do not need dozens of pages for each word quoting how the word has been used in the English language over the last several hundred years. So, there are smaller editions and useful dictionaries produced by rival publishers.

A concise dictionary is fine. There are other kinds of dictionaries that include the etymology of the words. An interesting subject but not necessarily required knowledge. Pocket books are useful but they are limited by the size of the text and the number of pages in the publication. And hence, the number of entries and the amount of information about each word.

So, I guess it all comes down to what your needs are. And the size of the publication that is most practical for you. And the amount that you want to pay.

If your interest is in becoming proficient in the English language then you might want to consider also purchasing a Thesaurus. The word comes from Greek and it means treasure or treasure store. The author provides lists of words that have similar meanings that can be used as alternatives. It can help us increase the number of words that are part of our personal vocabulary.

Regards

coldraven
August 15th, 2015, 03:40 PM
If your interest is in becoming proficient in the English language then you might want to consider also purchasing a Thesaurus.
Artha is a very useful program to have installed on your computer, it is in the Software Centre or just use the command

sudo apt-get install artha

vasa1
August 15th, 2015, 05:30 PM
If your interest is in becoming proficient in the English language then you might want to consider also purchasing a Thesaurus. The word comes from Greek and it means treasure or treasure store. The author provides lists of words that have similar meanings that can be used as alternatives. It can help us increase the number of words that are part of our personal vocabulary.
And then you can say "I concur" rather than "I agree" ;)

There's also the internet. I rarely use a paper dictionary anymore.

craige2
August 16th, 2015, 12:31 AM
Hi there,

I think the best way of learning English - or any other language - is to get a nice book to read. Find a subject/author you enjoy reading, even one that you have read in you mother language, but translated in the language you are interested into familiarise yourself.

Then, as vasa1 said, internet is the best dictionary. Pop it on google translate or any other online services.

In case you want to improve your speaking and listening, I would suggest a nice T.V series. Friends, Fraser, Big Bang Theory, New Girl ( random examples )...or whatever you enjoy. Just a show that combine proper and slang.

Listening and speaking is quite harder than reading.

I moved to UK a decade ago, I remember before I leave home, I had Friends playing all day long in the background. Just for my ears to get used to it.

Best of luck mate.

tech291083
August 16th, 2015, 07:53 AM
Do you want English English or American English?

English English please.

It comprises 20 volumes.

OMG.
I only want a single paperback book that I can carry if it is a bit thick and heavy, I do not mind that. But only one piece please.

But like me you most likely do not need dozens of pages for each word

Yes, you are right.

A concise dictionary is fine.

You seem to be right, even most of my friends have suggested me Concise only.

Pocket books are useful but they are limited

I agree. Fantastic reply from you, just what I always wanted. I can't thank you enough. Thanks a million.

tech291083
August 16th, 2015, 07:57 AM
Artha is a very useful program...................

Great, I will install that, thanks.

tech291083
August 16th, 2015, 07:59 AM
There's also the internet...........

Ya, I also use the following on most occasions.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/

QIII
August 16th, 2015, 08:03 AM
Depending on whether one includes scientific words, estimates of the number of words in the English language range from something on the order of 300,000 (substantially higher if one considers different forms) to over 1,000,000 words (which I think is a very exaggerated).

The average, well-educated English speaker has a vocabulary (again, depending on the source) in the range of 20,000 to 30,000 words. Most of those are very rarely used. Most will ordinarily use something on the order of 2,000 - 3,000 words.

So a concise dictionary would be far more useful than an exhaustive one.

tech291083
August 16th, 2015, 08:06 AM
In case you want to improve your speaking and listening, I would suggest a nice T.V series. Friends, Fraser, Big Bang Theory, New Girl ( random examples )...or whatever you enjoy.
Listening and speaking is quite harder than reading.

Excellent. I am from India and English is not my 1st language, but I have done all you have suggested during my college years in India and I must admit that each of the methods suggested by you is a very good way to improve English skills. I have also benefited a lot from watching sitcoms, no doubt for slang and a hint of local flavor. I enjoy English more than I ever did.

Thanks a lot for the encouragement provided.

mike81818
August 16th, 2015, 11:20 AM
a lot of good information here :)